Posted By: dianemary Hi Everyone! New Here - 04-03-2012 07:15 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie. I was just told a biopsy of my tongue showed mild dysplasia of the squamous cell type and I am trying to get as informed as I can right now. I found this community and I hope I can learn from your advice.

I am a former second grade teacher living in the USA.
dianemary
Posted By: EricS Re: Hi Everyone! New Here - 04-03-2012 07:42 PM
Hello Diane!

Welcome to OCF! Glad you found us, sorry you had to!

Fantastic News is that you've found this early. Early detection gives you the best chance for a favorable outcome with minimal side effects, less invasive procedures etc.

The best advice I've ever heard given to "newbies" is to get the absolute "best" medical advice available to you, which is a Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC). At least as a second opinion if you are comfortable with your current medical team if it doesn't happen to be one. CCC's deal with cancers like this everyday and are usually up on all of the most current treatment protocols. Prudence saves lives when dealing with cancer and 2nds are just prudence.

After choosing your medical team, attitude and nutrition are all that you are really able to control as the rest is up to your medical team and how your body responds to treatment etc. What I've learned is that no matter what stage cancer is found in, or where it's found, support and guidance from those who've traveled a similar path is the just good sense. Strength in numbers.

Again, welcome, glad you found us!

Keep your chin up!

Eric
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hi Everyone! New Here - 04-03-2012 09:31 PM
Diane, welcome to OCF! Glad you have found the very best site for information.

You are very very fortunate to get mild dysplasia results!!! The stats are that only 5-18% of patients diagnosed with epithelial dysplasia end up with getting oral cancer. It is a 'pre-cancer'. Not every patient who has dysplasia will become a cancer patient. There is lots of info on the main OCF pages about dysplasia. Here is a link to the info....

Dysplasia
Posted By: walknlite Re: Hi Everyone! New Here - 04-04-2012 01:23 AM
Welcome. I agree with what Christine said. This is the best place for information. Glad you found us.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Hi Everyone! New Here - 04-04-2012 03:00 AM
Hi welcome. Keep a close eye I. The area and have it checked out regularly prevention is the best medicine! smile nice to meet you!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum