Posted By: TPierce New user - 02-05-2012 02:28 PM
I have never been diagnosed with cancer. It always come back as different types of dysplasia. I can't remember how many biopsies have been done. Around a dozen I think. This has been going on for five years now. Doctors just found more two weeks ago and am scheduled for surgery on the 21st of this month. This will be the third big operation. They knock me out, take a biopsy, then send it off to the lab to see if they get good margins. Why does it keep coming back? What can I do to make it stop?
Posted By: AnneO Re: New user - 02-05-2012 02:35 PM
Where are you being seen? What kind of health professional is seeing you? We have a number of members on this board who have had several biopsies in the same situation you describe.
But my first question would be, where are you being seen?

Best,
Anne
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New user - 02-05-2012 03:09 PM
Welcome to OCF. I have exactly the same question as Anne. Not to say that its return is due to your doctors missing something. Dysplasia is something that frequently returns. It is a pre-cancer. Not all cases of dysplasia will turn into cancer. Im sure it doesnt seem like you are lucky but you really are very fortunate. You are lucky that its not cancer and also in the fact that you are catching it early. I knwo having the biopsies and removal of the dysplasia is not a walk in the park. I dont think there is any way you can avoid getting this. The only thing I would tell you is if you smoke to quite and try to eat a well balanced diet high in protein to help you heal from the surgeries.

Check out the main OCF pages and do a search using the word dysplasia. There is alot of relevant info there that may be of interest to you. Make sure you check out the Canadian Oral Cancer Prevention study, it talks about dsyplasia (titled Prevention of Oral Cancer).

Precancerous

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum