Posted By: IreneMarie HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - 01-14-2012 06:44 PM
MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED BITING OF THEIR TONGUE? I HAVE UPPER DENTURES FOR 1 YEAR NOW AND TWICE I HAVE BITTEN MY TONGUE. THE LAST WAS CHRISTMAS I BIT RIGHT THRU MY TONGUE. I WENT HOME AND TOOK A PAIN KILLER AND DIDN'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS. IRENEMARIE
Posted By: EricS Re: HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - 01-14-2012 06:55 PM
HI IRENE!! I'M NOT YELLING MY CAP LOCK IS ON smile BUT I AM EXCITED YOU FOUND THESE FORUMS!!!!

Seriously my dear welcome to OCF, glad you found us sorry you had to! Right after my mandiblectomy half of my face was paralyzed and scar tissue anchored my tongue to the floor of my mouth. 18 months later I had a C7-12 nerve graft and during the operation they clipped the scar tissue anchoring my tongue to allow a better range of movement. When they did that I started having the issue of biting my tongue as I wasn't used to having the range of motion and I lacked feeling in parts of my mouth due to nerve damage.

I've been able to overcome that by working with a speech pathologist and I recommend that course of action. My SLP has been wonderful at not only helping me with the tongue biting issue but also in allowing me to overcome a severe speech impediment due to partial facial and tongue paralysis.

I hope that helps my dear!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Eric
Posted By: IreneMarie Re: HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - 01-14-2012 07:22 PM
Thank you Eric,

I had cancer twice on my tongue. The first time they took lymph nodes on the left side of my neck three layers deep. the SECOND SURGERY WAS ABOUT SEVEN YEARS LATER. sAME SIDE OF THE TONGUE (LEFT) AND THEY TOOK HALF THE TONGUE AND SEWED THE REST TO THE FLOOR OF MY MOUTH. I can talk and most people understand me and I can eat. But now I am so scared of eating anything with the dentues in. I went to the dentist and he relined the dentures but its but working so I wil see him next week.

IreneMarie
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - 01-14-2012 07:54 PM
They call my teeth "company teeth" as I never wear the denture with attached prosthesis unless I am going out or - God Forbid- have to talk on the phone. My family is used to me removing my denture before eating. With the prothesis filling the roof of my mouth with acrylic, there is no room to put foot in between it and my immobile tongue, so to eat, I just take them out. They don't even notice anymore. Amazing what you can get used to!!

Donna
Posted By: ChristineB Re: HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - 01-14-2012 10:49 PM
Welcome to OCF IreneMarie! Sorry to hear about your tongue problems. I dont have any teeth at all so I am not familiar with your situation. Try eating slowly and paying very close attention to what you are doing. When I eat, I have to concentrate on what Im doing so I dont choke.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE - 01-17-2012 05:23 AM
Hi there - welcome Irene - I too had a partial glossectomy - maybe a third of my tongue removed, however they rebuilt it but did not attach it to the floor I my mouth so I have full mobility, and yes occasionally the thing gets in the way of my teeth. I do have some feeling in the new side and can feel when the teeth come in contact with it do I stop myself before I do damage. They did no remove any of my teeth so I can't take them out I just have to be super careful hen I eat! Take care! smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum