Posted By: sugar Question from new member - 09-14-2011 12:07 AM
im new here, i just try if you can help me how to feed my grandmother, she has a lymphoma, no tubes just the usual way of feeding, so how can i still feed her even without tubes?
Posted By: EricS Re: Question from new member - 09-14-2011 12:28 AM
If your grandmother doesn't have a feeding tube yet has issues eating or chewing food then go to a liquid diet if she can swallow without choking on it. Carnation VHC and Ensure Plus or Jevity are the most recommended liquid sustenance.

Personally I can't eat solid foods very much so 99% of my nutrition comes from Ensure and supplements that I drink.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Eric
Posted By: Eshwar N Re: Question from new member - 09-14-2011 01:03 AM
Sugar, you can also try wellcooked semi-solid porridge with some pulses, milk-shakes and as Eric suggested supplements with good proteins and vital nutrients will help.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Question from new member - 09-14-2011 03:04 AM
Hi Sugar!

Since you are in another country, your foods are probably different from what we eat here in the US. Here is a list of easy to eat food which may help. Most of these foods require less chewing and should be easy to swallow. I do agree with Eric that there are many over the counter liquid nutritional formulas for sale. You may have different ones available in your area. Here many people in situations like your mom rely on Carnation Very High Calorie, Ensure, or Boost.

Hope this helps.

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94621#Post94621
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Question from new member - 09-16-2011 10:08 PM
Hi Sugar, We found that rice pudding was easy to eat as well. And yes everything Eric and Christine said. I hope you can manage to find something your grandma can eat easily.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum