Posted By: Judy L New user - 05-01-2011 04:56 AM
Hi,
I wanted to introduce myself. I am 53, and I am currently dealing with my 3rd bout of a low grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma. In 1997 I had a single lymph node removed, but no primary was ever found. In 2009, the (possible) primary reared its head at base of tongue, also lymph nodes both sides. I had radiation/chemo in 2009, got through that fairly well and fully recovered. Now a recent scan shows activity in lymph nodes, and activity in tongue. I am facing a partial tongue resection and neck dissection, both sides. I am interested in any info on tongue resection and recovery, and also on the robotic surgery option.

Any guidance appreciated.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New user - 05-01-2011 09:42 AM
Judy welcome to OCF. Im sorry you have been thru so much. Ive been thru recurrences but have not had OC on my tongue. Im sure you will soon hear from some members who have undergone similar surgeries. Best wishes!

Here are some links to the best hospitals and top cancer centers.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm
http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New user - 05-01-2011 10:40 PM
Hi I had a hemiglossectomy, neck dissection, and am just finishing up rads, and chemo if you have any questions feel free. This cancer is likely new is it scc?

Take care...
Posted By: Judy L Re: New user - 05-05-2011 04:54 AM
Hi--no, muco-epidermoid, low grade. I had 2 excellent years of no problems after chemo/rad, so that was good. Never had any major surgery. Where did you go for treatment? Can you tell me more about it?
JudyL
Posted By: Judy L Re: New user - 05-05-2011 04:55 AM
Thanks Christine.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New user - 05-05-2011 02:52 PM
I'm Canadian so I was treated at princess margaret hospital in Toronto by a dr. Johnathan Irish. He is awesome. The hospital is one of the top 5 in the world so I'm told, he did a great job. It was a 10 hour surgery -12 hour surgery and I was rebuilt by a terrific micro surgeon.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum