Posted By: croney1 taste - 04-02-2011 10:01 PM
I am 4 weeks post radiation tx to my neck and mouth. the bitter/metalic/sour taste in my mouth is no better, if not worse. I did have mucositis while having treatment. is there anything I can do to ameliorate, cover up this taste while waiting to heal?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: taste - 04-03-2011 02:32 AM
Welcome to OCF! Unfortunately, this is all part of the healing process. Recovery can take months. Dont worry your sense of taste should slowly return. There isnt anything I know of that will mask the odd taste you are experiencing. Keep up getting a minimum 2500 calories and 48 oz water daily. The better your nutrition, the faster you will bounce back. Best of luck with your continued improvements.
Posted By: David2 Re: taste - 04-03-2011 04:30 AM
Christine's advice is excellent. I pretty much agree: there's not a whole lot you can do, your body will heal at its own rate. One thing you might try is chewing gum with Xylitol. I know Biotene makes a gum but I just use Trident Extra Care. It's good for your teeth, which we all need post-RT, and freshens your mouth too. Ingredient list-wise it has the most Xylitol of any of the readily available commercial brands that I've been able to find. Maybe someone else has another suggestion?

Hang in there - things will get better!

David 2
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: taste - 04-03-2011 06:06 PM
I think we all know that horrible taste all too well. The 1st question I asked on this forum was if I would ever be able to enjoy food again. It took a bit longer for me than most, I think, 18 months of Ensure Plus (the vanilla was the only one I could stand the taste of) and fruit smoothies. Now I'm eating pretty normally, although a lot of things are still dry and need lots of gravy or sauce of some kind. Time is pretty much the answer. I know some were back to eating in just a few months.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum