Posted By: Biskit New here - 03-26-2011 01:06 AM
Hi all! Im new to this, so bare with me, please. Back on February 28th I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Buccal Carcinoma. I will be going in for surgery on March 31st (this coming Thursday). My tumor (5cm x 5cm) has started, well, has come through to the outside of my cheek from the inside. I will be having a flapectomy (SP?) and neck dissection as they think it has gone into two lymph nodes but not sure as the tumor has blocked saliva glands and the perotid gland and cause infections over and over again, and is how I basically found out that I had cancer. The infection returned the day before yesterday but is slowly decreasing again. Thats why they are not sure if it is cancer in my lymph nodes or infection. I was told that I would be in the hospital 5 to 7 days, have a feeding tube, and a possible trach, depending upon the swelling. Post surgery they said I will be receiving 7 weeks of radiation - 5 days a week. They wont know about chemo until the lymph nodes are looked at. But just wanted to say HELLO to everyone and just wanted to kind of know what to expect, please.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New here - 03-26-2011 02:16 AM
Hello Biskit, welcome to OCF. You will find lots of info here. Read all you can and you will learn so much about oral cancer. Are you being treated at a cancer center? If you are able to eat, try to do so now. During radiation, your sense of taste will change and eating will become difficult. If you need any help with the feeding tube, let me know. Best wishes with yoru surgery next week.
Posted By: ESikon Re: New here - 03-26-2011 04:00 AM
Welcome to OCF! I suggest eating as much as you can to prepare in case you have weight loss and also things may just not taste the same. If you are trached, have a dry erase board to help you communicate with people. I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery, feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Posted By: Ingrid K Welcome - 03-26-2011 12:41 PM
Biskit: You've certainly found the right place. People here have been thru everything. Take their advice.... Christine is unfortunately the most versed as she's been thru the most. So eat everything you possibly can, you WILL lose weight post surgery, be glad they are putting in the feeding tube... I had mine done during surgery and have been so GLAD I have it now. If you have time, go back and read some of the older posts under "Currently in Treatment". They helped me a lot, even though I didn't find this site until after surgery. Wishing you well for Thursday, sending healing vibes and hugs your way. Ingrid from Chicago.
Posted By: David2 Re: Welcome - 03-26-2011 11:40 PM
Biskit - welcome, sorry you have to be here, but you've found a great place for support and info. All the advice the other posters have offered is excellent. If you do get a trache the dry erase board is a terrific idea, wish I'd had one... although my tracheotomy was an emergency/surprise situation. But it's much easier than writing on countless pieces of paper!

And yes, eat up! The PEG is another great suggestion. I didn't get one and I ended up wishing I had. At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I know that were he not buried in tax season David CPA (like Christine one of the great veterans here) would advise you to get your thyroid levels checked now to establish a baseline. Also to see a dentist prior to rads to determine the state of your teeth.

If you can read some of those previous In Treatment posts please do so. Then fire away with the questions - we're here.

David2

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum