Posted By: CindyP New Here! - 03-17-2011 09:21 PM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Cindy and I had Squamous Cell Carcinoma in my mouth (well tonsil, tongue and lymph nodes) In the Spring of 2002. I went through months of Chemo and Radiation. That was the easy part,

Now I have trismus, and a trachestomy because now I have bi-lateral vocal choral paralysis. I have to sit in the oxygen chamber 2 hours a day for month because now I need to have a tooth extracted, just had 2 cavities filled and 2 root canals, now i need crowns, and of course insurance does not cover that.

I have extreme dry mouth still and take a couple different meds for it. Eating is hard as I cannow open wide enough to chew and I have problems swallowing.

But I beat the cancer!

Hug
CIndy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New Here! - 03-17-2011 09:39 PM
Hi Cindy! Welcome to OCF! Im right there with you on the trismus. It stinks but we have to deal with it. Sorry to her you have a trach. Ive had one of those too, but only for about 2 months. Ive also done 125 HBO, so we are very much alike smile I really liked your post! We all end up with all kinds of little lovlies as after effects. Things we just have to deal with. Keep that upbeat attitude smile
Posted By: walknlite Re: New Here! - 03-18-2011 04:07 AM
Welcome to OCF. I just completed 30 HBO dives, and looking like I may get to do more. I am so happy you beat cancer. Now comes the after effects of treatment. Are some of the things you mentioned you had late effects of treatment?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: New Here! - 03-18-2011 04:22 AM
Welcome and god bless! you are truly a survivor. 9 years that is fantastic and inspiring - despite the side effects, you are here.

Take care.
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Here! - 03-20-2011 02:08 PM
Cindy, you have heard from the wisest and a real survivor. Christine is my hero and I hope I can hold up for the next few months as well as hse did. 3 years down and I hope a few more to go.
Posted By: David2 Re: New Here! - 03-21-2011 03:29 PM
Cindy, you're a real fighter and a true survivor. An inspiration to me. I wish you continued success in beating back this stuff!

david2
Posted By: cbhh Re: New Here! - 03-21-2011 09:41 PM
Hi Cindy!

What a tremendous attitude you have! Such strength! Congratulations on seven years of survival. That is very reassuring news. Sorry you are experiencing these side effects but I'm certain that you will pull through.

Thank you for posting and welcome!
Posted By: julieann Re: New Here! - 03-21-2011 10:20 PM
2002 - WOW. How wonderful to hear from someone who is such a long-time survivor. Looks like you beat the demon, but now have to fight the after effects. You'll meet many people on this Forum who have such problems, but not too many who can proudly say they've been rid of cancer since 2002. The side effects really suck, and make our live miserable. BUT, YOU ARE A TRUE SURVIVOR, and an encouragement for us all. I hope your problems somehow diminish. I have also had late side effects that I didn't even have during my treatments, which I even wonder if they are connected with radiation/chemo. I wish you all the luck in the world in beating yours. You will meet PROS on this Forum who will help you, and if they don't know the answers, they'll direct you to someone who does. WELCOME!
julieann
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum