Posted By: cat6711 Hello - 11-15-2010 08:19 PM
I am a 54 year old female and I am so far a 2 time oral cancer survivor. I was first diagnosed with base of tongue cancer in 2000 at the age of 43. I had surgery to remove the tumor and followed with radiation. I've been cancer free for 10 years. In July of this year I developed a sore on the left side of my tongue. The biopsy showed it was cancer so I had part of my tongue removed. I've had 2 sores on my tongue since then. Have had biopsy on both and came back negative. There is still tenderness there. Does anyone know if this is this a common occurance?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Hello - 11-16-2010 12:00 AM
There is not much that is common re oral cancer so stay on top of anything that looks or feels out of the ordinary.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Hello - 11-16-2010 05:22 AM
Welcome to OCF. Im sorry that you have had a recurrance so long after your first round of oral cancer. Ten years is a very long time between your cancers. I wish you the best with the new sores. I hope that its nothing. Keep a close eye on them and make sure you get them checked frequently. To help ease your mind, Im a 3 time oral cancer survivor. It can be done if you have to go thru it again.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Hello - 11-16-2010 06:55 AM
With only 4-5 month elapsed after your surgery, I would not be surprised that this is related to this very sensitive muscle and the surgery, not recurrence.
Posted By: cat6711 Re: Hello - 11-16-2010 04:16 PM
Thanks for all of your replys. Is a re-occurance with cancer once you've had oral cancer, usually always oral cancer again or can it show up anywhere?
Posted By: bethers0808 Re: Hello - 11-20-2010 09:43 AM
if oral cancer spreads, they say it usually spreads to the aerodigestive tract, so lungs, esophagus, trachea, stomach, intestines, colon and lymph nodes too. So they usually pay close attention to those and do a eyes to thighs scan to check all of those areas.
As stated before, bumps and sores can just be due to that you had surgery recently and everything is overly sensitive, plus lack of feeling in some areas makes it difficult to know if you chew on ur tongue, or burn it sometimes too which can cause sores!!

Hope this doesn't come back for you again, but you have fought hard so far, so keep up the good fight.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum