Posted By: penners Hello Everyone - 06-02-2010 03:29 AM
I've been reading and searching your forum since about February when my Aunt (who is more like my sister) was diagnosed with SCC on the tongue. Thanks to you all, we knew exactly what to expect with the surgery. The grade was on the verge between stage 1 and 2, no lymph node involvement but perineural invasion present. She underwent surgery with a fabulous surgeon in Charlotte, NC, had a modified radical neck dissection, flap pulled from the chest area. Last week she completed 35 radiation treatments (no PEG). Her doctor's encouraged her to take no chances with this predator and were rather aggressive.

Of course she is quite sore from the radiation and eating only very soft foods but weight is holding.

The wonderful information shared here helped me to let her know that the side effects she experiences are totally normal. I often share some of your experiences and encouragement with her. Finally yesterday, she asked for a link to the forums.

You have helped both of us so much and I've grown to care about so many of you. I'll be sharing our "experience, strength, and hope" with you. Meanwhile, please keep Teresa in your prayers. I love her so much.
Posted By: SusanW Re: Hello Everyone - 06-03-2010 02:40 AM
Like you, I have found this site to be a good resource. I'm glad that you decided to post and look forward to hearing more about how your Aunt is doing.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum