Posted By: JLG Base of Tongue Stage 3 Survivor - 03-01-2010 02:15 AM
HI, It's been 6 years nearly since I finished treatments and aside form having little use of salivory glands I'm hanging in there. While I didn't have surgery I did have concurrent radiation with Cisplatin treatment and its was a tough 2 months and then some. Had PEG for nutrition and only dropped 10 pounds but back to 230 now (I'm 6'5"). Never a smoker and moderate drinker they think that reflux may have caused the cancer. Things remain sore at times in my mouth and swallowing is somewhat altered. Occassional bouts with thrush and ulcerations. But PET scans were clear and my ENT scopes me every 6 months. Anybody have similar experience?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Base of Tongue Stage 3 Survivor - 03-01-2010 12:49 PM
My bet was HPV caused your cancer. See my Signature Line. Recent studies have concluded that with the way you presented yourself at Dx, similar patients tested positive for HPV over 70% of the time.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Base of Tongue Stage 3 Survivor - 03-01-2010 03:47 PM
It is so nice to fine a survivor. Makes me believe that I can make it to. I am just 4 weeks out of treatment.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Base of Tongue Stage 3 Survivor - 03-01-2010 11:04 PM
My OC was UNIQUE the Drs at Ohio Sate, WVU Hospital and in Wheeling told me. But I have wondered about the reflux too. I wore a monitor home from Pittsburgh and went back the next day for the results. My acid was higher than the meter would read and I had to have a NIssen Fundiplication . This is where they wrap 1/3 of your stomache around your esophagus. I had surgery, both sides of my tongue removed, teeth removed, I had radiation and chemo as well as after rad seed imlants in my tongue. I wonder like you if this refluz cold have caused the OC. Might possibly be asbestosis too which I have,. Congrats on your 6 years.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum