Posted By: Barry Keith Recurrence Club House! - 10-28-2009 01:12 AM
As we go through this stuff, we tend to notice others going through the same.
I've noticed at least 4 others, currently, very recently having a recurrence.
Anybody else? Any suggestions from those that have been there?.........
Posted By: Cookey Re: Recurrence Club House! - 10-28-2009 08:48 AM
Reoccurence!!The elephant in the room for every oral cancer patient.Something every one lives with day to day.Reocurrence rates in this particular cancer seem to be much higher than in others so in a forum solely for OC you are going to see a lot of reocurrence stories.You haven't received all the treatments available to you,so i am sure they will come up with a plan,and you can have surgery again combined with chemotherapy and maybe even something like cyber knife rads.Nearly every day sees new things being tried and proven,so this is just another leg of your journeey to being cancer free.It sucks barry but you can do it,just try to stay positive and keep your fighting spitit up.

love Liz
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Recurrence Club House! - 10-28-2009 02:03 PM
Barry

I am living proof that you can take much more than the "maximum" radiation. Two years ago, I was told that 72GY was the max although one doctor said 77GY. With 97GY cumulative radiation, I do have a lot of radiation damage (swallowing, trismus, mucous, petrified neck, etc) but if you do join our club house, there is still hope for treatment.
Charm
Posted By: Barry Keith Re: Recurrence Club House! - 10-28-2009 05:01 PM
This is exactly the positive types of inputs I was searching for...thanks for all the words of encouragement...
Posted By: Eileen Re: Recurrence Club House! - 10-28-2009 05:21 PM
I think mine was a new occurence rather than a reoccurence but I'm still around here alive and kicking without extra radiaiton or chemo.

Take care,
Eileen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum