Posted By: Coping in Texas Surgery - November 2nd/3rd - 10-18-2009 02:59 AM
Met with the bone Dr. last Monday - Jim's hip and leg are fractured; he is scheduled for a partial hip replacement on the 2nd or 3rd....he will let them know as he has a lot to do on his list. They won't do a full hip replacement because they figure he wouldn't make it at all - they are hoping that the partial will at least give him some relief and maybe get away from the crutch. I learned thru a friend of his that he sent a mass e-mail to all his guy friends, saying bye and hoping that he wouldn't make it off the table - he hasn't told me that of course...I think he will be fine. We are having a huge party next Saturday - then off the next week to surgery....the stress is kickin' me...everyone keeps telling me to take time for me - how selfish - Jim is my time for me....I wish this would just go away...
Hugs to all
Paula
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Surgery - November 2nd/3rd - 10-18-2009 03:04 AM
You and Jim have really been thru it, and then some. I am glad to hear you have a party planned - those are the special times that make life worthwhile. I know you think that being with Jim is your time for you, but maybe some other caregivers can weigh in here - is it possible that by taking some time away for yourself (manicure / pedicure ???) that you might come back to deal with "everything" feeling more refreshed which would benefit both of you?

Keeping you guys in my prayers. I hate this disease. It really sucks.

Donna
Posted By: Bonniey Re: Surgery - November 2nd/3rd - 10-18-2009 06:45 AM
Paula,

So sorry to hear about Jim, you're doing the right thing spending time together. I will keep you both in my prayers this isn't an easy road. God bless you both.

Bonnie
Posted By: Sue G Re: Surgery - November 2nd/3rd - 10-19-2009 10:25 AM
Paula,

As someone who is going through a tough time with this disease I'm sure that you are doing the right thing by spending as much time with Jim as possible. I know that while I may sometimes make life hell for my husband there is no-one else who I feel as comfortable and as safe with. Jim is lucky to have you! Enjoy the party on Saturday and all the best for Jim's surgery.

Sue
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Surgery - November 2nd/3rd - 10-25-2009 10:17 PM
Enjoy the Party and pass on my best wishes to Jim!!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: MikeG Re: Surgery - November 2nd/3rd - 10-26-2009 01:03 AM
I am sorry for all you are going through.
I do agree with Pandora that time for yourself may refresh you and Jim. I don't think this is selfish, it a way to show respect to life. A spiritual uplift.
Of course, I'm am all for the mani-pedicure, however, even 20 minutes browsing the local drug store and being around other shoppers may prove to be enough. Mabey a new lipstick for the party?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum