Posted By: MrsGrant Recurrence - 08-08-2009 12:38 AM
I have now had my 2nd surgery. Recovery is going well so far. The cancer originated on the base of my tongue and recently spread to my Perotid gland, which has now been removed. They also removed a swollen node from my right side. My doctor has said for sure chemp and radiation will be in my future. They are going to give me a 3 week recovery time...so I should be starting treatments just in time for my 24th birthday! I will know more about my treatments after the pathology report comes back next week. I am being released tomorrow and will most definitely be on the board here...thanks for all the support!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 11:03 AM
Good luck and I know you're glad the surgery part is over.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 12:30 PM
Shaylynn, Im sorry you are going thru this again. At such a young age, its hopefully going to be an easier recovery for you. Best of luck with your continued healing.
Posted By: Donna MFS Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 01:40 PM
God bless you darling...you will be in my prayers with a little extra emphasis...I have two daughters about your age...

Donna
Posted By: EzJim Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 02:11 PM
Shaylynn,, good luck and it is great they caught it now , you have my prayers for sure but you have that good young age to help you thru this stuff.
Posted By: mhupe Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 02:24 PM
Shaylynn, add me to the growing list of people who have you in their prayers!!
Posted By: Bonniey Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 05:06 PM
God Bless you Shaylynn, I too will be praying for you extra hard as my daughter is going through this too for her second time. Stay strong darling.

Bonnie
Posted By: Jenka Re: Recurrence - 08-08-2009 10:16 PM
I'm sorry you have to deal with this again. I hope that chemo and radiation will annihilate any chance of future recurrence.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Recurrence - 08-09-2009 03:36 AM
Hi Shaylynn,

I'm sorry to hear about this....I haven't seen you on here lately and assumed you were out enjoying life as you should at 23 going on 24. You have the support of the people here to help you through this and you will get through this.....

I will be thinking of you and looking for your updates.

xoxo
Posted By: nancys2 Re: Recurrence - 08-09-2009 12:31 PM
Dear Shalynn, sorry you have to deal with this again. I have a dgt the same age as you and can't imagine what it must be like for you at this age to have to deal with all of this. The chemo and radiation should clear everything up for you and you can go on with your life. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Eat well
lots of love and support coming your way,
nancy
Posted By: KimK Re: Recurrence - 08-10-2009 02:41 PM
Shaylynn,

So sorry you have to go through this. Glad they are pulling out the big guns to get rid of it. You're in my prayers.

Kim
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Recurrence - 08-10-2009 03:48 PM
Shaylynn

As someone who have also had a second recurrence, I can empathize just how terrible and depressing it is for you. What is worse it that you are very very young and yet you have what an old person like myself is supposed to get. With such a short time of remission, the blow must be all the harder to take.
The good news is that after the first shocks pass, you will feel better. I wish you the very best and feel free to vent here at OCF. The coping/anger & fear forum is a safe place to express yourself without hearing Pollyanna type reassurances from those who never had cancer, just factual encouragement from those who have suffered also,
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Recurrence - 08-11-2009 01:15 AM
Ahhh...Charm..that is when I like to say "sometimes things just stink. There's no talking me out of it" Sometimes I just like to be miserable
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Recurrence - 08-13-2009 02:11 AM
Shaylynn

Be strong!
Posted By: MrsGrant Re: Recurrence - 08-13-2009 05:55 AM
Thank you all for your kind words, support, and prayers. I Mainly blog about my journey www.remissionorbust.blogspot.com It is a good way to get what is on my mind out there as well as all the updates! I will try to keep you all updated here as well
Posted By: EzJim Re: Recurrence - 08-13-2009 11:29 AM
Suzanne, how could you posibly like being miserable at anytime?? LOL This is a new one to me.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Recurrence - 08-15-2009 12:57 AM
Jim, I guess that's my way of dealing of sometimes. I hate when people try to blow sunshine up my skirt. For instance, before my last surgery the comments I heard were "you will be ok...you can eat a lot of ice cream" and so many more. I really just needed a day or 2 to feel sorry for myself..lol it sounds funny when I type it but it's true.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Recurrence - 08-15-2009 01:22 AM
Suzanne, its hard for me to believe you could be grouchy. You are very sweet and kind.

Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Recurrence - 08-15-2009 02:47 PM
suzanne

Hey it's everyone's right on OCF to feel sorry for themselves especially those of us [quote]"who have been dealt the hard hand of dealing with a recurrence of the disease, the unique emotional issues that accompany that, and the issues related to re treatment[/quote] (Just love that description of the this forum on the main page.) We have earned it. I set aside a couple of days each month to just wallow in self-pity and indulge myself. Of course it's easier for a cantankerous old coot like myself, as nobody is surprised One of the positive aspects of being negative at times
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Recurrence - 08-16-2009 12:05 AM
Christine, you are so sweet. Most of the time I am a very happy girl. My husband is the only one who actually lets me be frustrated and feel sorry for meself. I guess that's why we got married:)

Charm....I like that quote too. I think anyone who has had some or all of their tongue removed they can feel sorry for themselves:)
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Recurrence - 08-16-2009 02:01 AM
I tend to ignore things and hope they just disappear...I've gotten a lot of close people around me kind of angry with that procedure...LOL...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum