Posted By: EzJim Patty - 06-03-2009 12:10 PM
There was a post in Patty's obits that said Patty had fought her battle and won!!!!! Who in their right mind would say dying is winning? That has me steaming inside and I have to let some of the steam out here.. Sorry about that, but I say what I think.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Patty - 06-03-2009 07:57 PM
Jim

I have not read (google did not pull any up) Patty's obituaries, so I can't tell the context. But it may help you feel better that it is a standard literary device in obituary writing to paraphrase the "lost the battle, won the war" metaphor. If done correctly, the point is acknowledging that when someone faces the battle the way Patty did, retaining her grace and good humor, she has indeed "won" the war. Some people are "cured" but bitter about the aftereffects: did they "win"?
In my book, Patty was and remains a winner. She refused to let this cancer break her. Living courageously and unselfishly to the end is indeed winning the war, despite death. Take care of yourself
charm
Posted By: lorileona Re: Patty - 06-03-2009 08:43 PM
Charm,
Perfectly worded! I agree. There is a link to Patty's obit on the thread Round Three for Patty. She fought to the end and to me that is winning with grace.
Lori
Posted By: EzJim Re: Patty - 06-03-2009 11:51 PM
I have never doubted Pattys courage for a second, but the way that was stated in there was a bit like you just posted Unless they didn't know the difference. I guess that can hapen.
Posted By: Leslie B Re: Patty - 06-04-2009 02:10 AM
Actually, that phrase was used in a condolence comment on the guestbook -- not in the actual obit.
Posted By: Pete D Re: Patty - 06-13-2009 02:06 AM
If one defines dying as losing, none of us (or anyone else) has any hope of winning...
Posted By: EricS Re: Patty - 06-22-2009 07:52 AM
Well said Pete, well said.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum