Posted By: Charm2017 Chastity Tumor: HPV status? - 06-02-2009 09:52 PM
I posted my news on the general board that my CCC is now testing for HPV and the tumor I had out in February tested NEGATIVE for HPV. I was wondering how many of us on this board who had a recurrence had HPV? It would seem a reasonable assumption that if the preliminary studies show that HPV tumors respond better to radiation and chemotherapy, that those of us with "Chaste" tumors would have more recurrences. I know from the signatures that many of us predate standard HPV testing, but it would be interesting to hear from others on this.
charm
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Chastity Tumor: HPV status? - 06-02-2009 09:59 PM
I don't remember any that tested + for HPV ever posting about a recurrence.
Posted By: worried mom Re: Chastity Tumor: HPV status? - 06-02-2009 10:45 PM
Teri was tested for HPV - negative.

Caregiver daughter Teri, age 43, non-smoker, non-drinker, aerobics instructor, SCC 4/06 SCC lateral tongue, partial glossectomy, mod rad neck dissection, 35 IMRT; metastatic return 4/08 to lung, bone, kidney. 10 radiation to lung, 3 Docetaxel + Carbo, lost her battle on 9/29
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Chastity Tumor: HPV status? - 06-02-2009 11:47 PM
Worried Mom

Thanks for posting especially since it must bring back memories of Teri's struggle. I am sorry for your loss. God must have needed an aerobic instructor to whip those Angels into shape for Armageddon. Seriously, no parent should ever suffer what you have suffered. I'm sure that while she may have "lost her battle on 9/29", that she "won the war" of living a good and holy life.
charm
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Chastity Tumor: HPV status? - 06-13-2009 12:56 AM
There seem to be several HPV- posters with recurrence, including Stephanie. A forum search finds a few others, as well.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Chastity Tumor: HPV status? - 06-13-2009 12:47 PM
Margaret

Yeah, that's David's point - that so far he has not seen any HPV+ have a recurrence, just us HPV- posters. thanks for digging around to find that information. I have not seen any studies showing this to be true, just anecdotal. I am definitely going to bring it up to my Medical team to see what their experiences have been. Now I am glad I did not know my HPV status earlier, as I would have been even more worried last year. Right now, after this second bout of cancer, I am really hoping that the "third time is NOT the charm" wink
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum