Posted By: Steve J. Mets to Lungs - 12-04-2008 06:26 PM
Well, a few weeks ago I learned I've got metastasis to both my lungs and pleura. On the left I've got a pleural effusion as a result. The tumor board at my CCC here has determined that surgery is not and option and neither is radiation.

My doctor basically told me at this point we could treat it but not cure it, and went on to tell me I should go about doing the things I've always wanted to in life.
I'm 'only' 41 and I've got a wife and 4 kids to live for, so I'm not ready to just lay down and declare this fight over. I've moved to a new M.O.. He doesn't paint any rosier of a picture about prognosis but he understands my willingness and desire to fight this thing and is willing to help me that way. He's also connected to a couple of the major centers and may be a link for me to get into one of those.

He sent one of my archived cancerous tissues to a lab to confirm HPV as that is suspected in my case (non smoker or tobacco user). If it's positive I guess there is a clinical trial I may be eligible for.

I'm on Carboplatin, Erbitux, and 5-FU. After two more cycles we're going to scan again and see if we're making any progress. That will determine what we do next and I can't even speculate at this point. Just trying to be strong and not accept this as a death sentence.
-Steve
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-04-2008 08:16 PM
Steve,

I'm sorry to hear the latest news. I went back and read your posts, you've been so strong through every step and you are a testament of how one should carry themselves in life's challenges. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everyone including yourself better or say something that would take it all away. A friend of mine was recently having a hard time and I wasn't exactly sure what to tell him; for some reason, chimpanzee popped into my head...I told him (my buddy) to go out and act like a chimpanzee! We laughed...it was a good time. Being strong is good...it's what we all should be...But, if you ever feel like it go ahead and act like a chimpanzee! Can you imagine doing that in the doctor's office or a mall?

Stay strong Steve!
Posted By: Pete D Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-04-2008 09:51 PM
Har! I used to act strange in malls to annoy my teenagers -- Walk up and ask a mannequin what time it is (and don't forget to say thank you) -- Jump up and walk on the borders of the plantings, stuf like that! It's fun!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-04-2008 10:58 PM
Steve,

I wish you success in whatever you're able to fight this with.
Posted By: Tom Roussell Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-05-2008 01:56 AM
Steve, There are 800 Cancer Drugs in the pipeline! Start doing your own research online. I like Pubmed. Check online the largest Cancer Hospitals near you. Click on Trials. See if you qualify. My belief is that you had a micro amount of cancer in your lungs when you started treatment 2 years ago. It just took this time to present itself. Keep believing that you can at least stop the progression of the cancer! Get on a trial as soon as your present treatment is not able to be tolerated or by reimaging not working. The newer drugs are easier than Platinum based treatment. Keep going, there are lots of up and downs to experience. Become your own expert, you have a lot to live for and are young. Which are both a major plus! You are climbing a big mountain. Don't give up! There are people who have had the worst prognosis and are still going strong years later. Tom
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-06-2008 02:42 AM
I know his cancer was different but just look at Lance Armstrong. The cancer had spread to his lung, abdomen and brain. Armstrong also chose an alternative chemo tx plan that would do less damage to his lungs. There is always hope and the fight starts within...stay strong.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-07-2008 06:30 AM

Steve:

Sorry you have been given not very many options to fight with. Luckily you have a doctor who knows your will and knows you have every intention of fighting this awful disease. People with willpower like yours have determination and hopefullness which I think truly helps them fight harder. Hang in there, there are others who have been in your shoes and can help you.

Posted By: Bailey4 Re: Mets to Lungs - 12-13-2008 05:06 AM
Steve, hang in there and hang on to every possibility! You are young, strong and have so many reasons to keep fighting with ANY THING available. Will be including you in my prayers....
Linda
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum