Posted By: walknlite watch and wait - 11-30-2015 07:46 PM
Have you had cancer come back on the lungs? I had a chest xray today and it showed a white spot on the right lung. PCP is treating it as pneumonia, but also ordering a chest CT and swallow study. Just curious.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: watch and wait - 11-30-2015 08:04 PM
The swallow test is for determining if you suffer from aspiration pneumonia, which is quite different from viral pneumonia. My husband has lung metastases, it is not considered a recurrence.

Hopefully the CT scan will give your doctor a better idea of what it is. In the meantime, focus on something else, like your little girl or a hobby. It will help to take your mind off the fearful thoughts.
Posted By: walknlite Re: watch and wait - 11-30-2015 10:58 PM
I have been clear for 6 years. Would it be considered second primary?
Posted By: gmcraft Re: watch and wait - 11-30-2015 11:54 PM
Sorry, Angelia, I didn't make it clear. My husband has lung metastases because it was diagnosed six months after his initial treatment ended. It was therefore not a recurrence. Please don't worry about all the possibilities for now, wait till you get the results of the scan.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: watch and wait - 12-01-2015 12:51 AM
Just remember... sometimes a spot is just a spot. Ive had a "spot" on one of my lungs for years. It hasnt changed at all over several years, so in my situation its nothing to worry about. Try not to get ahead of yourself until everything comes back and the doctor reviews it with you.

Hoping its nothing serious!!!
Posted By: Uptown Re: watch and wait - 12-01-2015 03:59 PM
I have had a spot growing larger since around 2007. I also have spots all over from aspiration pneumonia and damage to my lungs from significant breathing problems and all of that has created COPD. The bigger issue is fibrosis in the hylar region that appeared shortly after treatment that is considered radiation damage that never healed.

When you worry or are subjected to stress, cortisol gets dispatched and fibrosis grows. Periodic early A.M. cortisol tests will give an indication stress is too high and potentially advancing fibrosis.
Posted By: walknlite Re: watch and wait - 12-01-2015 04:40 PM
Hey guys thank you all. I will be having a Swallow study and CT scan on Friday. I am just ready for answers. I have been sick for over a month and no one can tell me why. Blood work has all come back normal.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: watch and wait - 12-05-2015 01:07 PM
My son also had a spot on his lung and it took a long time (from our perspective) for the results to come back so we imagined all the worst. We found out later that they were waiting from results from two different hospitals. And the spot really was "just a spot". It was scar tissue from pneumonia. The waiting is SO hard, but try not to dwell too long (like maybe 1 or 2 minutes) and then switch to all the Good outcomes that it could very well be. About the blood work, did it include checking your Vitamin D level? If that is on the low side, it could make you feel really tired. Sending positive vibes your way for some good news.
Posted By: walknlite Re: watch and wait - 01-11-2016 01:41 AM
Brief update: After my ct scan I was referred to pulminologist. He took a look at the scan and said we couldn't afford to wait and watch. He said he counted more than 23 nodules. I had biopsy last Monday. Now we are waiting on those results.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: watch and wait - 01-12-2016 05:05 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Tammy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum