Posted By: Alpaca Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-06-2015 05:40 PM
I'm recovering from a horrible cold: sore throat, runny nose, cold sore, dry mouth from breathing through it. On my bad side I've had two selective neck dissections and at the moment that side of my neck is tender with one palpable node about the size of a smooth little pea. It's between my ear and collarbone but ironically I can't feel it right now!

I thought I'd give it a month to go down and ring the hospital if it doesn't subside. I'm not anxious, I'm really not, but I feel puzzled about the situation with nodes when we get a virus. I mean how does the lymphatic system work when we get sick when lots of its usual holding stations have gone?

How do other people cope with colds when the mouth is already dry and you can't breathe through your nose?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-06-2015 07:02 PM
Sorry for your troubles. If anything unusual or symptom doesn't go away in 2-3 weeks, if should be looked into by a doctor. I had a number of different palpable pea sized nodes through the years, and non nodes, that I went to my oncologist or ENT in less time than that, which were biopsied by FNAB. Hopefully it's just that, a reaction to the cold, and a good sign it can no longer be felt.

Good luck.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-06-2015 10:39 PM
Maureen,

Have you tried using the Breathe Right strips that you can stick across the bridge of your nose? Footballers use it sometimes. Maybe it is worth trying -- a non-medical solution.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-06-2015 11:41 PM
Maureen, Im sorry you are getting over being sick. Im not sure if this would apply to you or not but it could be helpful. I have permanent sinus damage from the radiation treatments. Its like I have a head cold every single day 24/7.

At night I take childrens liquid benedryl to help dry my sinuses but it also dries out my mouth at the same time so I have to be careful with how much I take. I also use the Breathe Right nasal strips on nights when my sinuses are really bad. They really do help.

Feel better smile
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-07-2015 01:49 AM
Would a humidifier help?
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-07-2015 04:27 AM
Thanks people! I have never seen the nasal strips in the pharmacy but they are certainly available online here so I'll keep a stock for when I get a cold again. It's such a pleasure to be able to breathe through my nose once more:)
Posted By: Uptown Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 07-07-2015 04:29 AM
Christine, have you tried Ipratropium Bromide nasal spray? It shuts down the mucus production at the source. Benadryl or antihistamines can compound the problem and cause other issues, including creating more mucus from the dryness and sinus infections. Mine drain 100% of the time, too.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Cold virus and swollen lymph node - 08-15-2015 01:30 PM
Nodes are funny, and yes if a bunch are gone I imagine the remaining ones have more work to do, so I'm thinking because you've been sick your swollen node might be a loner trying to clean up the mess and getting all bothered about it but it doesn't hurt to have it checked, hugs
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum