Posted By: missyp no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-18-2014 12:38 AM
well today we found out that chemo is no longer recommended and surgery is no longer possible and we received an offer to ask hospice to help us. My hubby has had 7 surgeries and 5 rounds of chemo. He still is up and about, tires easily etc. So What now?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-18-2014 01:55 AM
Missy Im so very sorry to read about the latest update. If at all possible are you able to try to get him into a CCC for at the very least a second opinion? If not, find the best facility you can for another opinion and also check clinical trials.

best wishes!
Posted By: Uptown Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-18-2014 02:10 AM
missyp, I am so sorry to hear the news about your husband. I concur with Christine. The question is whether or not your husband wants to continue treatment of some kind. That's a tough question to have to answer. My philosophy is fight until there is no fight left. It has worked up till now for me.

Is there anyone you can see to help make the decision to continue pursuing something? Often, cancer centers have Psychiatric Oncologists that deal with issues like you are facing.

Good luck and best wishes.
Posted By: PaulB Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-18-2014 02:58 AM
Sorry to hear also, missyp. I agree with what Christine and Uptown said. Are you near Moffitt in Tampa or able to travel for a 2nd opinion? Some hospitals like John Hopkins do them by telephone conference, but all info needs to be sent to them, and cost around $800 or more.

All the best, and good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-18-2014 03:07 AM
Many CCCs will have places you can stay for free or very low cost (like $15 a night). There are even airlines which will fly the patient for free for long distance treatments.

That is of course if he does want to continue. Of course everyones situation is different. I was faced with being diagnosed with my third round at Stage IV. I almost gave up until the members of this forum helped me to understand that I couldnt just give up and quit unless I actually tried first. If they hadnt helped me to see the full picture I wouldnt be here right now. It breaks my heart when I read of others facing similar situations. I hope your husbands outcome will turn out with the very best results possible.

Posted By: PaulB Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-18-2014 12:43 PM
Here is a link to find an American Cancer Society Hope Lodge in most state, which are free of charge, with amenities. I stayed in NYC for six weeks, some were there many months for treatment, and is a great place. Many were from all over the world, country, locally if travel would be more than an hour.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/hopelodge/
Posted By: missyp Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-28-2014 06:53 PM
We went to Mofitt mid stream through his past recurrences and they didn't really offer us anything new unfortunately. He was allergic to erbitux so that was ruled out. he said in a weird way he's relieved to not have to under go any more treatments. He's had 7 surgeries and 5 rounds of chemo (3 induction). Not sure what to think or do.
Posted By: PattyElle Re: no further treatment offered by Drs. - 11-29-2014 07:46 PM
Missyp,

My husband said to me 'I'm making this decision' (about his treatment), and changed his mind twice.

I feel for you. I suggest you find the best alternatives mentioned here, present them to your husband, and let him decide. Be there for him either way and let him feel your support.

Praying for you both,

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum