Posted By: ConcernedDaughter small lump under armpit? - 10-27-2014 08:35 PM
My dad is awaiting his second surgery in 6 months for oral cancer. Today he discovered a small lump, similar to the size of a pimple under his right armpit. I know this area has many lymph modes which makes me worry about spread. He was recently diagnosed with a second primary on his right back oral tongue with some possible node involvement (he already had a neck dissection for surgery number 1 in May). Should I schedule him to see the doctor? Is this something we should we concerned about? Im just worried because its the right side and he has a new cancer on the right side. I should note he got a flu shot on Thursday.

Does the concern ever end?
Posted By: Uptown Re: small lump under armpit? - 10-27-2014 08:50 PM
Are you connected with your father's oncology nurse? If not, please find a way to do this. A trained medical professional with significant experience is where all these questions should be asked first. We can help manage side effects but we can't diagnose concerns here. We aren't qualified and we can't see from here.

Have you considered anxiety meds? This is very stressful and your constant worry is very common. Your father is so fortunate to have you with him through this.
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: small lump under armpit? - 10-27-2014 09:06 PM
ConcernedDaughter

Again I feel your worry. I am always worried about the cancer spreading also in my mother. I asked the MO once about the possibility of it spreading and was told it usually stays confined to the head to neck area. But I did read about a certain case where it did spread to the lungs . But again we are not doctors. I would certainly report this finding to the MO rite away.

I did read your post about your father going into surgery soon and you were worried about him being able to talk . Well after my mothers partial jaw removal I bought a note pad and pen and she wrote little notes to us. She let us know when she was in pain and wrote little questions asking about her surgery outcome. Also like Christine said someone should be with him at all time. Me and some family members made a schedule and rotated 24 hours a day. He will surely need someone with him.

I know how you must feel because my mother also had a second surgery in 6 months. I want to wish you and your father the very best luck through it all
Heidi
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum