Posted By: fish Scans that scare you - 10-09-2014 03:31 PM
Well it's October and I did not plan to have the %$^%%% scared out of me at this point. A couple of weeks ago I went for my CT scan and it came back fine EXCEPT for an area around the surgical site that they couldn't define. My oncologist sent me to have a PET completed. That was yesterday and I got a call yesterday afternoon. The oncologist would like me to see my ENT doc. There is "activity" at the BOT and he wants to confirm it is nothing but a false positive. So......................waiting on the ENT scheduler to call back today and sending my head spinning is no way to go until I get a confirmation from the ENT doc. This would be seven months since my last rad and I don't really feel and symptoms. Anyone else have any scans that scared the crap out of them until it was confirmed negative?

Fish
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Scans that scare you - 10-09-2014 03:51 PM
You arent alone in this. False positives are pretty common and can scare you silly. Its happened to me also so I understand just what a shock it can be. Hang in there, hopefully its nothing more than a false positive.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Scans that scare you - 10-09-2014 05:55 PM
False positives happen a lot. Scans pick up areas of high metabolic activity. Healing areas, inflamed areas, and infections all cause this.

Your dr. is right to be cautious. However it is rare that an oral tongue cancer patient would have a recurrence in the BOT (and being so close to the date you finished treatment it wouldn't really be a recurrence but rather something they missed. Which would be unusual.

I'm sure it's not unheard of but very rare.

Hopefully it's nothing.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Scans that scare you - 10-09-2014 08:04 PM
When PET scans came into the fold around here back in 2003'ish, doctors were very hesitant to say anything because of the false negatives. I'm glad they are being cautious, although it must be intense for you. I hope it's nothing to be concerned about.

Go Royals!
Posted By: fish Re: Scans that scare you - 10-13-2014 12:04 PM
Quick update......Went to the ENT on Friday and he checked out the "suspicious" area. He said with the size and area on the PET scan you would definitely feel it. In other words, he said "I don't see anything suspicious". We both agreed to get another CT scan in November and write this off as a bad scan.

Your right Ed.....GO ROYALS!!
Posted By: Uptown Re: Scans that scare you - 10-14-2014 02:37 AM
This great news. Much better than the rain delay tonight.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Scans that scare you - 10-14-2014 01:56 PM
Thats good news, fish. Best wishes with your future scan!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum