Posted By: Mamacita Didn't make it a month past surgery - 08-19-2013 03:36 AM
My tonsil cancer has reappeared less than a month after my tonsillectomy. We were on vacation last week and I had time to look in my mouth for the first time in about two weeks. My massive post-surgery excavation is gone, replaced by tissue extending from the tonsil area just as it did the first time. This time there are also peculiar and quite ugly growths on the adjoining wall of my cheek.

My tumor was very fast growing the first time, going from not visible to 3 cm plus in about 10 days. By the time I had surgery, the first tumor hung from my tonsil to my tongue and nearly touched my uvula. This one seems inclined to do the same. It's about 3/4 of the way to my uvula and at least 2 cm high. Two docs viewed my mouth two weeks ago and neither noticed anything, chances are there wasn't anything to notice yet.

I supposedly had a clean margin of less than 1 mm on the deep edge the first time. I kept looking at a ruler and thinking that wasn't much of a safety buffer. I guess I was right. I don't blame my surgeon for not taking more, there was already a risk of hitting a major blood vessel or opening a hole between my mouth and nasal cavity.

I am getting ready for chemoradiation and have a simulation appt. Tuesday. I was expecting to start within the next two weeks. Tomorrow morning I will call the RO and MO to let them know what I am seeing in my mouth and find out whether it changes anything.

I had been gearing up to follow the Block Center program in support of my treatment but this really takes the wind out of my sails for the moment. I am thinking less about nutrition etc and more about what the best options would be for my daughter if the worst happens.

I was so scared of treatment and the long-term physical losses, now I am way more scared of this vicious disease.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Didn't make it a month past surgery - 08-19-2013 03:51 AM
Mamacita - I'm sorry - it is terrifying and it does seem very aggressive - don't be discouraged, just let this news out more fight in you smile it should respond well the the chemo radiation hold onto this. Hugs...
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Didn't make it a month past surgery - 08-19-2013 11:38 AM
Did a biopsy confirm you are having a recurrence? Maybe its scar tissue?

Wishing you all the very best with everything!
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Didn't make it a month past surgery - 08-23-2013 02:06 AM
Thanks Cheryl and Christine, you are so kind to me. Please forgive me, I was too quick to panic. <red face here> My RO says I'm just a month out of surgery and what I'm seeing is changing architecture as things heal. My uvula is being pulled to the surgical side as tissues close over the fistula/defect from surgery. It's off-center now, and I mistook that for the tonsil site closing in. It's hard to see well because I can't open very wide. He says my ear pain is consistent with the major surgery.

Even if it is a recurrence the response would be the course we're on, Cisplatin plus radiation. Bottom line is we're going to give it another 10 days before worrying more or a biopsy. In my heart of hearts I would like my surgeon to look at it, but I can't take time off work to make the trek with so many absences looming for treatment.

I guess this was my first taste of the fear that every mysterious change will trigger from here on out.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Didn't make it a month past surgery - 08-23-2013 04:59 AM
Yeah - glad its just healing.. smile
Posted By: sunderwood1111 Re: Didn't make it a month past surgery - 08-26-2013 01:17 AM
I am so sorry you had to go through those feelings.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum