Posted By: Nancy14 Lung Nodule - Met? - 08-07-2013 12:59 PM
Having finished treatment 4 months ago, I had my 1st CT scan 2 weeks ago. Follow-up appointments with my ENT showed clear on the scope and clear head/neck on the CT. However, a 2mm node is noted on the chest CT that needs further attention and has me in the 'what if' stage. Since my original PET/CT was done at a different facility, he needs to compare the recent one to the past one to see if this is new or has been there all along. This will take a few days. Even if it is new, he says it's too small to biopsy at this time and we'd re-scan in about 8 weeks to see if there are any changes/etc. I am very comfortable with the hospital/doctors (Mass Eye-Ear/Mass General), but will likely seek a 2nd opinion at Dana Farber if it is a new node.

In the meantime, I am a bit lost as to how to react but would appreciate thoughts/questions that I should be asking. Also wondering if there are any 'gold standards' that would be followed... surgery, chemo, radiation? Which comes first? What chemos are standard for SCC Mets to lung?

Trying to keep busy from going crazy.

Thanks!
Nancy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 08-07-2013 01:06 PM
Nancy, this is very common. Many OC patients will have something light up especially on their first after tx scan. At only 2mm, that is about the smallest the scans will be able to pick up. My doc explained to me that its alittle smaller than a grain of rice. Ive had a tiny spot like this on my lung for the past 4 years. It has not changed at all in that time. When I first found out about the spot, my immediate thoughts were..."thats it, this is whats going to do me in". But after a very long discussion with my doc, I learned alot of info and eventually I was able to ignore the whole situation. Sometimes a spot is just that... a spot. There have been others here who have had these things pop up after tx as well and they were like mine, no changes in it for several years. I hope that will help to ease your fears.

Just remember..... its not cancer til the biopsy says it is.

Best wishes!!!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 08-08-2013 12:01 AM
Nancy, my first post Tx scan came at 3 months and I had 2 spots in my lung "that can not be excluded." RO said not to worry, YEAH RIGHT. MY 2nd scan was at 6 months and those 2 spots had cleared but another 2 showed up that weren't there the first time. RO said not to worry, YEAH RIGHT. I had my 3rd and final scan 9 months post and finally got an all clear. Then I didn't worry.
Posted By: Nancy14 Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 08-08-2013 12:06 PM
Thanks, Christine and Dave. My logical side tells me to keep calm and not become obsessed with this (yet), but my emotional side is working overtime to take control. I appreciate your responses and experiences to help keep me in balance.

Best,
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 08-08-2013 12:52 PM
I hear you - my RO's assistant scared the crap out of me when I was in treatment over a scan I'd had -i was terrified all logic shot - it was 18 mos out before my family dr, compared my original scan and the one in question and told me both were clear. Ass hat! Believe you are okay and live life like it. Hugs
Posted By: Nancy14 Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 10-17-2013 01:54 PM
Hi,

Just a quick update that my recent lung CT no longer showed the 2mm node that was identified in July. The doctors and several here had advised in July that it could be any number of things and as Christine said - sometimes a spot is just a spot. Thankfully it clear (could have been an infection or radiation inflammation, etc). So... all clear and back to regular visits every two months.

Thanks to all,
Nancy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 10-17-2013 02:12 PM
Congrats Nancy!!!! Im so happy that it was nothing serious. Now arent you glad you didnt spend every day of the last few months on the edge of your seat worrying about "what if"?

Best wishes with your continued recovery.
Posted By: Hockeydad Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 10-17-2013 08:46 PM
Great news, Nancy What a relief.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 10-18-2013 03:37 AM
That's soo great!!!! smile
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Lung Nodule - Met? - 10-18-2013 02:40 PM
Nancy, it's wonderful news. We are so happy for you.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum