Posted By: Charm2017 Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-17-2012 06:58 PM
Okay, turns out I was a little too blase about a lump on my tongue and some bleeding and increasing pain. I've had blocked salivary glands routinely since my surgery and each time my ENT looked or felt those "Lumps", she assured me they were almost always benign and would resolve on their own. Which they always did. I figured I had dinged one with my electric toothbrush last Friday but I had an appointment at the end of the month so figured it' be the same old same old.
But my wife had noticed that my breathing was much louder and my mucous much worse smelling and read me the riot act last night.
Luckily for me, my ENT really likes me so when we called this morning, she skipped her lunch to squeeze us in. (My wife was not going to trust me to tell her if it was something bad right away since my viewpoint is it will never be something I can't handle so why worry her prematurely)
Well my ENT took one look at what was now the size of a small grape or huge pea, dried blood in hardened mucous and said: whatever it is, its infected so Biopsy.
Good thing she has a well equipped office as the lump was not only impossible for me to touch or see, but also for her. But with mirrors and tongue depressors and a wicked long needle with a flexible syringe tip that she bent into a semi circle, she was able to shoot some Novocain to numb me up. Then she used a tool that is actually a special sinus biopsy tool that also curves into a semi circle at the upper part to snip away bloody portions. A few silver nitrate sticks to cauterize the bleeding and I was done.
Biopsy results around Thursday. I'm on Amoxicillin plus TH-K CLV - or super Baby antibiotic (works best with a feeding tube) and Percocet (grind up easy for the tube) for a week.
(damn DEA: now I have to show a driver's license and have it photocopied and stapled to the pharmacist's copy of my prescription as though that would deter a dope addict)

Morale of this story: don't wait a week if you have a bleeding lump on your tongue , see your doctor.
Charm
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-17-2012 07:59 PM
Oh Charm!!!!! WOW!!!!!

I am very sorry you have had to get a biopsy. I hope and pray you have nothing seriously wrong. I will be waiting on edge til I see your post on Thursday. Way to go Bev for making you go to the doctor!

Ive had 2 biopsies done this year myself. Both turned out to be nothing. Hope that helps to ease your troubled mind.

Be well, my friend!!!
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-17-2012 09:00 PM
Good luck and best wishes for a negative result!!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: julieann Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-17-2012 09:16 PM
Dang Charm. Hate you had to go through this, but glad you did. I wish I had the kind of doctor you have - didn't get put off for a second. Mine would have made me wait two weeks from tomorrow. Hopefully, it's nothing, but I'm sending a prayer your way just in case.

julieann
Posted By: Kerri Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-17-2012 11:29 PM
Charm,

I'll be a wishin' and a hopin' that it's nothin'. Damn! Those biopsies friggin' kill, too!

You deserve some good luck! Take care and keep us posted.

xo,
Kerri
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-18-2012 12:24 AM
Oh my goodness, Charm! Sure hope everything turns out ok! Your doctor sounds really cool and your wife, super cool awesome! So glad you have such special people close and caring for you. Sending positive vibes your way. Keep us updated.
Posted By: msmac Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-18-2012 03:35 AM
I'm glad your wife is watching out for you. I hope your biopsy site is healing well and that you get a good report next week.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-18-2012 12:37 PM
Frackin unbelievable! What we need to invent is a whole mouth transplant.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-18-2012 01:07 PM
Ditto whatndavid said.,, I have faith its just an infection.but keeping my fingers crossed for you anyway.
Posted By: Maria Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-18-2012 02:32 PM
Best wishes from Ohio - please post as soon as you get your results.
Maria
Posted By: HankXavier Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-20-2012 11:22 AM
All my prayers buddy
Posted By: slim Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-20-2012 01:45 PM
Prayers that it is not cancer!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-20-2012 03:24 PM
Prayers and hugs coming your way! Hang tough, Buddy!
Posted By: itsoktoday Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 02:38 AM
I have always liked the things you have posted. I will keep you in my prayes that it is nothing to worry about.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 07:19 AM
Thinking of you from the land of the long white cloud.
Tammy
Posted By: Wendy B Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 08:24 AM
Crossing my fingers, legs, eyes and anything else I can cross for good luck for you. Will keep positive thoughts and many prayers coming your way. I'd say "relax and don't worry", but I know the anxiety that comes along with each and every biopsy. Praying for good news for you. You certainly deserve It.
-Wendy
Posted By: KP5 Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 01:54 PM
Oh no Charm. Please update as soon as you know. You are loved and so respected. My thoughts will be with you daily.
Kathy
Posted By: Kerri Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 02:15 PM
Still pulling for you, Charm! Hugs and kisses! Best wishes!
Posted By: Kelly211 Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 07:13 PM
Charm,

I'm rooting for you, you old Frack. You were the inspiration for me as a went through my Cyberknife treatment. I could always say that I knew someone who had survived a reoccurrence using the same treatment as I was undergoing, and was alive and well enough to tell about it three years later.

In those dark hours we all have, when doubt enters our minds and just won't leave, I kept remembering your success to get me though.

Hope all goes well for you.
Posted By: wendys Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 07:42 PM
Ugh, My thoughts and prayers are with you Charm!!!
Gosh, sometimes I don't even know what else to say.
Fricken Cancer sucks!!!
Posted By: KP5 Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-21-2012 07:54 PM
That pretty much says it all!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Do As I Post, not as I Do - 08-23-2012 01:04 PM
Everybody;
Thanks for all the support. I opened a new thread since the title of this one will no longer be accurate. I will be walking the talk I give in my posts in fighting this.
Thanks for all the positive thoughts, I really did not worry and was completely taken by surprise by the negative pathology report.
Charm
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum