Posted By: ChristineB Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-19-2011 10:50 PM
Nate has given me permission to share with OCF members his latest sad news. He has recently had a biopsy which unfortunately came back positive for SCC. This is his third battle with oral cancer within a short period of time.

At this time Nate is scheduled to have a major surgery on Jan. 12th at MD Anderson in Houston Texas. Many of the details will be decided with his team this week.

Nate is keeping in good spirits and is making the most of every single day. His weight is stable and he has almost fully recovered from the last surgery. Nate is keeping himself very busy to keep his mind on more positive things. He is currently working on getting lots of toys together for his nephew for Christmas.

When I get any more updates I will share them with everyone.
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-19-2011 11:18 PM
Thanks for the update, Christine. I feel so sad for Nate. He sure has had a difficult time and now has to handle another recurrence. I am glad he felt comfortable enough to confide in you.

If you are reading this, Nate, I am praying for you. You are a much loved guy here. You are not alone!!! I wish you peace and comfort this Christmas and through the New Year. Enjoy all the goodies you can eat now as you prepare for your surgery. Hang in there!
Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-20-2011 02:14 AM
This guy is a warrior, it's the best way to say it. We chat often and he's got his game face on and ready to deal with whatever's in store for him. Good thoughts and prayers in his direction of course would help I'm sure.

Love you Nate, you're a beast my friend.

Eric
Posted By: HankXavier Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-20-2011 03:53 AM
ugh hang in there man. Christine is proof positive that you can beat multiple recurrences. You can do it bro.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-20-2011 05:59 AM
Yup! There are many people here who've gone a few rounds and walked away. You could well be the next one.. Good luck and blessings... And thanks Christine for the update!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-20-2011 11:59 AM
Thanks, Christine for Nate's update. Stay in the fight mode, Nate - It's the best way to beat the beast! You're young and you can DO IT! Sending positive vibes your way!
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-20-2011 06:52 PM
Oh no, not again...God please let him get thru this and let it be his last time to battle a reoccurance!! Let the docs get all of it and let him be free of this SOB! Amen.
Stay Strong Nate!!!! And have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
Posted By: HankXavier Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-20-2011 10:35 PM
Praying in agreement with Sue. Father, you can do anything. You have no limits. Please heal our friend so that others may witness your power and mercy. In the name of Jesus the Christ who was called Yeshua, amen amen amen.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-21-2011 02:53 AM
This news stinks! I hate cancer and what it does to people. Thanks for updating us.
Posted By: julieann Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-21-2011 05:54 AM
Nate: We are all praying for you and like mentioned earlier, there are many on this Forum who have had multiple recurrences and are doing great now. Your age is a big factor, plus you seem to be in great shape, so you can do it! Keep us informed.
An OCF Buddy,
julieann
Posted By: Ingrid K Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-21-2011 11:24 PM
Oh Nate, how much do we all hate cancer. this latest news sucks so bad, but you are a fighter and can beat this again. You are way too young, we all know you have much more work to do here on this earth... much more music to make ! I am keeping you in my prayers. Be strong you and Korinne !.
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-22-2011 01:09 AM
Nate,

Hang in there you are strong-willed. You're in my prayers and thoughts. Thank you for the update Christine, please keep us posted.

Take care,
Connie
Posted By: jayneday Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-22-2011 08:37 AM
Nate you are such a strong person! You will beat this thing I just know it! Keep the faith and that positivity you have in you
Christmas cheer from the uk sent your way x
Posted By: Kerri Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-23-2011 05:14 PM
Thank you for sharing this, Christine. Nate, you are in the best of hands in this country and perhaps the world. I put my faith in the medical team and your strong will to fight. Beat this nasty disease into submission!
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-24-2011 01:23 PM
Nate, I truly believe your battle ready attitude will help you again, as I know you are one determined young man. Prayers that 2012 will be nothing but good doctor reports and getting back to "normal". "3" is the magic number that ends this once and for all! Hugs to you, Nate.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 12-29-2011 04:54 AM
Nate,

I�m so sorry to hear about the recurrence � this just isn�t fare!

You can beat this � you are young and are being treated at one of the best OC hospitals in the country, plus you have all your OCF friends praying for you.

Christine, thank you for the update and please keep us posted.

Nate, I'll keep you are in my thoughts and prayers. {{{Hugs}}}
Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-02-2012 10:19 PM
An update from our boy Nate!

He is now fulltime at MD Anderson with a whole new team. He has surgery in 10 days. He'll have a total glossectomy and possibly a partial laryngectomy depending on what they see, followed by more radiation.

Nate is vaporizing to help with pain, nausea and to keep his spirits up (that's my brotha!) He wanted me to relay that he's not being distant and appreciates OCF, he just doesn't want to face the boards until he can deliver good news. In the meantime I'm sure me or Christine will be posting updates etc. to keep us all in the loop and pulling for him.

He was in good spirits when we were texting and continues to have the fighting spirit we all admire him for. We're pullin for you brotha!

Eric
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 12:03 AM
Thanks for updating us, Eric. And Nate - keep up the good fight. Glad to hear you are getting help for the pain and nausea. You're in good hands at MD Anderson. We are all thinking about you and sending prayers, hugs, good vibes and whatever else gets you some good news coming your way!
Posted By: slim Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 02:13 PM
Eric, thanks for the update.
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 02:44 PM
What's the exact date Eric do you know? 12th? 10 days from the 2nd if I do the math correct. I'll be praying for him and that he comes out with flying colors and an all clear and yep keep vaporizing, it's the only way to fly! smile
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 04:20 PM
Add me to the list for prayers!! smile and kudos for pushing through it Nate - we all want that good news for you!
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 05:42 PM
Thank you for updating us on Nate, Eric. He's got a lot of us pulling for him and we await that "good news" that he wants to deliver. Hugs Nate!
Posted By: misskate Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 06:51 PM
Praying for Nate! Let this be his last surgery!!!
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-03-2012 10:59 PM
Thanks for the updates, Eric and Christine. Glad to hear he's at MD Anderson.

@ Nate: Your OCF family is with you and here for you whenever. Wow! Look at all the prayers and healing thoughts that are being sent your way from all over the world! Your strength and fighting spirit are more powerful than the OC beast. Kick it's butt!

Sandy
xoxox
Posted By: Kerri Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-04-2012 01:58 PM
Thank you for the update, Eric. Nate, your amazing strength gives me strength and hope. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible so you can move forward to recovery and rehabilitation. Thank you for being such a power of example. I am sorry that you have to go through this at all. You are held in my thoughts often and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Take care,
Kerri
Posted By: Gabe Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-04-2012 10:48 PM
Thanks for the updates and I will be looking for the further reports from either you Eric and/or Christine in the days to come.
Seems he has a good team for his upcoming surgery and I hope it all goes smoothly and recovery is quick.
Glad to see that he has the pain and nausea under control and despite everything is in good spirits.
Please give him my love and very best wishes when you are in contact next.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-05-2012 03:42 AM
I'm so slow! Sorry I am just now reading this.

Nate - You can do this! Hang in there, your in good hands. I will be praying for you my friend.

Christine and Eric - Thanks for the updates!
Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-11-2012 11:36 PM
Just got an update from Nate. He had just got done talking with his team and his cancer has spread. They will be taking everything (total glossectomy and laryngectomy) and they still believe he has a high chance of a recurrence.

He still has fight in him but he's obviously reeling from the news. I'm sending up prayers and asking others to do the same as he goes into surgery tomorrow.

Hang in there my dear friend, I love you and believe they will hit a home run. Keep swinging.

Eric
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 12:06 AM
Nate....Hang in there, I'm praying for you I hope there is no recurrence. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

Eric and Christine thank you for the updates.

Connie
Posted By: ESikon Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 02:09 AM
I will be praying for a successful surgery tomorrow, prove them wrong Nate!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 04:46 AM
Just texted Nate. He sure has had a rough time. Hope everything goes better than expected tomorrow. Prayers to Nate, Korrine and his family.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 05:33 AM
Nate, I'm so sorry to hear the latest news. I'm praying for a successful surgery and the end of this chapter in your life. Hang in there and know that all your OCF friends are praying for you.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 06:42 AM
Please tell Nate we think his doctors have been a bunch of "nay sayers" from the beginning. What they haven't counted in is THE NATE FACTOR. Sending many prayers and good vibes to Nate for a successful surgery and a quick and as painless as possible recovery.

Donna
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 07:28 AM
I agree - prove them wrong, take care and best of luck with surgery! Hugs- you can and will get trough this!
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 03:16 PM
Thinking and praying for you Nate! Hope all goes well and BETTER than expected keep up the good fight dude!! You can do it!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 04:17 PM
Drs. Are so ambivalent about giving definitive answers about anything! And when they do - being optimistic - is not something they do well for fear of hearing a patient say - but you said.... Generally they err on the side of caution and focus on the negative. So don't take their negativity personally Nate... This place and the world -in fact - is full of people who proved the nay sayers wrong! A dr with loads of experience can usually eyeball a situation and give a solid educated guesstimate but again that only comes with years of experience and practice - and even then they are sometimes surprised. Hugs dear boy - you will get through this!!!! smile
Posted By: Shelley K Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 04:46 PM
Sending positive vibes and prayers to you Nate!! Everyone on this board cares a great deal about you. We know you will get through this!!

Hugs,

Shelley
Posted By: ngk Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-12-2012 10:31 PM
praying while we wait...

Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 01:18 AM
Just got an update. Nate is still in surgery. Its been 12 hours and the plastic surgeon is working on him right now. I will post when I know more.
Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 01:55 AM
Thank you so very much Christine!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 02:12 AM
Im very worried about him! Poor guy has been thru so much for such a young guy.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 03:04 AM
Ive heard from Nate's mom again. She said they are almost finished, its now 13 hours he has been in surgery. So far everything is going very well.
Posted By: Ingrid K Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 03:20 AM
thanks for the update, Christine.. so far so good.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 03:27 AM
Thanks for the update Christine. I'm glad that everything is going well. Please let Nate's mother that we are all praying for him.
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 03:56 AM
Sending prayers for Nate. Sending hugs to all of you who have been walking the path with Nate from the start. You are strong people with a great amount of heart.

Sandy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 04:07 AM
Nate is finally out of surgery. Docs said the operation was a success and Nate did very well. Nate is now in the ICU.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 04:20 AM
I am so relieved to hear the operation is over and was successful.
Thanks for the wonderful news Christine.
Now for lots of rest and healing.
When the time is appropriate maybe we can also send e-cards to the hospital?
Posted By: misskate Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 05:04 AM
Oh Thank Goodness. So happy to hear this news. Nate! We are all praying for you. Hoping you heal up quickly and begin the healing process. Love and hugs to you my friend!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 06:44 AM
Agreed - I responded on Facebook - but my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery and that they got it all! Thanks for the updates!!
Posted By: jayneday Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 08:22 AM
good news and prayers for a quick and complete recovery!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 09:34 AM
Oh-h-h-h. Now I can exhale! So glad the surgery went well. Thanks, Christine for updating us! Praying for continued good updates and for everything to go well for Nate and his family.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 06:37 PM
Excellent news!!! Today Nate doing very well. He is awake and alert. His mother told him about his OCF friends saying prayers and asking about him, Nate smiled at that. His mom said he should be moved out of ICU tomorrow.
Posted By: slim Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 07:41 PM
Great news! Thank you for the update. I will continue to keep Nate and his family in my prayers. He has been through so much at such a young age. frown
Posted By: Maria Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 08:11 PM
Thanks, Christine. Best wishes to Nate and his Mom from snowy Cleveland.
Posted By: Malka Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-13-2012 10:22 PM
THank you Christine,
Praying for Nate to have a good recovery. Like everyone else I have had him in my heart and prayers. Please let us know how to send get well greetings.
Posted By: Sue G Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-14-2012 11:19 AM
That's great news Christine. So pleased to hear that he is in good spirits and may be out of ICU soon:-) Prayers and love to Nate and his family!

Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-15-2012 10:59 PM
Nate just texted me! He has been transferred out of ICU to the head and neck unit. They got negative margins in the surgery (YAY!) however due to how quickly the cancer was spreading they will start radiation in 5-6 weeks.

Nate is in very good spirits and of course very happy to be alive. He appreciates all of the thoughts and prayers, let's keep them coming.

Good news, hope.

Be Well, Love life

Eric
Posted By: Jenslp Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-16-2012 12:42 AM
Hell yes! Keep kicking you know what Nate!!!!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-16-2012 10:21 AM
Great News!! Keep up the fight, Nate!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-16-2012 02:14 PM
Amazing and wonderful he's doing sooo well!
Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 05:15 AM
Just been talking (texting) with Nate and he wanted me to give everyone an update. He's doing really well and sounded in fantastic spirits. He emailed me a copy of the attending surgeons report of his procedure and it is very optimistic with nothing but negative paths. He thanks everyone for all of the love and support, it means so much to him.

Let's keep him in our hearts as he get's ready for his next round of radiation!

Eric
Posted By: julieann Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 05:41 AM
Thanks, Eric: I saw him on Facebook and he is really looking good - what a terrific attitude that guy has - amazing. Keep us informed and I pray for the very best for him.
julieann
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 10:06 AM
So glad to hear the great news! Thanks for update, Eric.
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 03:42 PM
Great news on the negative paths! Yep he posted a pic and he looks really good considering all that he's been thru, quite the fighter he is and that's a good thing!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 04:26 PM
That's so great!!! Hopefully he'll sal through rads!!!! wink give him a text hug for me!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 05:56 PM
Eric, I was texting with Nate yesterday too. Its great that the margins were clean! Nate is trying to adapt to all the changes. He really has alot going on right now. Its going to be a very long road for him with his radiation and continuing recovery.
Posted By: EricS Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 07:20 PM
Christine, can you keep up with him on text? My lord, I swear that guy has like lightning fingers or something, I don't know how he does it as I certainly can't text that fast!
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-23-2012 09:38 PM
He sounds like my daughter she uses that slide touch where you just glide your fingers accross the phone to the letters and it prints out what you are saying, no clue how that works. I use T9 on mine.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-24-2012 01:43 AM
@ Eric... Nate is like lightening! Heck NO I cant keep up with his texting. I think he must have one of those 3 or 4 G phones with the full keyboard. He writes a paragraph and my phone gets 3 or 4 texts at a time on its tiny little screen. Everytime Im in the middle of typing a reply, BOOM here comes another one and it kicks me out of my text. Makes me even slower then. Nate is the younger generation who has grown up having a cell phone from the time he was like 10 years old. I got my first cell phone when I was 35, makes for quite a big learning curve!

Back to the original topic. Nate is doing very very well considering everything he has gone thru. His surgery was very drastic and his life will now be forever changed. I cant imagine what he must be going thru learning to live his life without a voice, not even a whisper. Nate will need our support weather he feels like he does now or not. I speak from my experience in a similar situation. I woke up 3 week after I went in for the mandibulectomy terribly disfigured and all pieced together. I had no idea what had happened, I went to sleep on August 24th and woke up September 13th. It felt like I had taken a short nap. It took me quite a while to mentally process what had happened while I was kept asleep. Adjusting to such a sudden dramatic change is not easy to adapt to. It really took alot of deep thinking before I was able to pick myself up, brush the dust off and walk out the door with my head held high. I hope I am able to help Nate work thru this point in his life. He still has 5 weeks of rads to do before he can begin to put this all behind him and move on.

If anyone would like to send Nate a card, please PM me for his address.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Round 3 for our pal Nate - 01-25-2012 03:45 AM
Thanks for the update Christine. He does have a long road ahead of him. I will be praying for him and is continues recovery.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum