Posted By: walknlite brief update between appts - 09-20-2011 06:28 PM
This was also posted on FB.

So, one update. Saw my PCP today and she did tell me that the right side of my neck was swollen, and also wants a sleep study since I have not been getting restfull sleep. She said let s see what your ENT says before we worry about anything. She barely even touched my neck and could tell it was swwollen, and she set it felt a little bumpy. So now I am really nervous about all this.

Second appt. down. Went to dentist today to have temp. crown looked at. Told him what my PCP said about the neck swelling, and he said, "What!!!!" He then began to feel my neck to see what she was talking about. His finger rest on a spot and said, "Does that hurt?" Nope, didn't hurt. He asked again, "This right here is not tender?" Nope not tender. He then said, "Well, good thing is that it is moving a little." What am I supposed to think of all this? See my ENT in two hours. Needless to say i am a nervous wreck since I have had two Drs whom I respect tell me my neck is swollen.
Posted By: Gabe Re: brief update between appts - 09-20-2011 10:22 PM
Read it earlier and understand how stressed you must be after your previous visits. Hope all went well with the ENT Angelia.
Let us know soon?
Gabriele
Posted By: ChristineB Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 01:10 AM
Angelia, I had hoped you would have some answers after your appointment. Dont worry yourself so much! Im pretty sure that a tumor is not something that would be movable. It would be stationary. Let us know when you find out more info. Best wishes!!!!
Posted By: walknlite Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 01:20 AM
Well so my ENT told me I have developed a certain syndrome due to the radiation. I do not remember what he called it. He said that the swelling in my neck was due to the fibrosis of the muscles, and did not feel any lymph nodes. He also said the the right side of my tongue was beginning to atrophy from lack of use. I have trained my tongue to only speak with the left side. He said the right side is shrinking. All in all good appointment, but just a lot of side-effects form radiation. We never know until we get it checked. I am so relieved. He did say that we need to keep an eye on it. If the pain starts to get worse to call back and we will see what we can do to lesson the pain.
Posted By: msmac Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 02:57 AM
Sorry you're having these issues but all in all that sounds like pretty good news.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 03:59 AM
Yeah!!! Two good news's Kelly got good news too! smile hugs to you!! You probably weren't sleeping well because you were so anxious - hopefully you'll sleep well tonight!! So what did he prescribe for your tongue? Tongue ups? Licking ice cream? sorry I'm being silly I'm just very relieved - not happy to hear about the fibrosis but hopefully some neck exercises will help loosen the muscles and try doing some tongue exercises too - I am forever rolling mine around etc... Hugs again! Sleep well!
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 04:19 AM
Hi Angelia!! Congratulations!!! So...I hope it won't be long until we hear more good news--about an addition to your family! I'm sorry that radiation keeps giving you little presents in the form of discomfort and worry. But, I am so happy you are well. Sending a big hug!

Sandy
oxoxo
Posted By: davidcpa Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 12:46 PM
Great news. You deserve it!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 01:50 PM
Congrats to the great news! Glad it turned out to be nothing more than after effects of treatment. Hope you can now relax and do everything your doc suggested.
Posted By: julieann Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 04:00 PM
Wonderful news, Angelia. Yep, radiation causes all sort of problems it seems, even for me after four years. I'm very happy for your good diagnosis and hope you can relax now.
julieann
Posted By: walknlite Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 09:21 PM
Well, how did you know that we are hoping to add to our family? All three, RO, MO, and ENT say I am good to go. However, my PCP is concerned about it coming back.

[quote=Sandy177]Hi Angelia!! Congratulations!!! So...I hope it won't be long until we hear more good news--about an addition to your family! I'm sorry that radiation keeps giving you little presents in the form of discomfort and worry. But, I am so happy you are well. Sending a big hug!

Sandy
oxoxo
[/quote]
Posted By: Malka Re: brief update between appts - 09-21-2011 09:57 PM
Angelia,

No one wants side effects but I am happy for you that it turned out to be this rather than something more serious. Praying that you heal completely.

Malka
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: brief update between appts - 09-22-2011 02:27 AM
Hi Angelia! I think you mentioned something about it in another post...I'm kinda intuitive sometimes. I'm not that tuned in, but I do pay pretty good attention to detail! I hope it all works out. You are a wonderful mom...so the baby of the future would be one lucky little guy or girl to be part of such a lovely family. 0:)

Posted By: Marlene41 Re: brief update between appts - 09-22-2011 03:48 AM
Even though it's still a pain, I'm glad it's not a recurrence.
You've been through a lot.Its time to get on with your life & your dreams, Angelia.

(((hugs)))Marlene
Posted By: walknlite Re: brief update between appts - 09-25-2011 06:23 PM
Sandy, thank you. I think I needed that today.
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: brief update between appts - 09-28-2011 07:43 PM
Hey Angelia - It seems like you always come out on the good side of "news", so we're praying that continues. I am hoping that pain you have dissipates over time - the faster, the better! Keep getting those good reports. Hugs : )
Posted By: benfry Re: brief update between appts - 10-01-2011 01:49 AM
Angelia those were great news! I'm sorry you had to go through all the anxiety and fear but I am glad you got it checked and it was not something more serious. Yay smile
Posted By: cbhh Re: brief update between appts - 10-02-2011 11:41 PM
I was quite tongue tied after my first two resections. My doctor told me to move my tongue all over the place and to grab the end of it with gauze and pull as hard as I could stand to. Now I can stick my tongue past my lips,almost reach the outside of my teeth on the left (right floor excised)and can roll 'r's with my tongue (rrrrruffles have rrrrridges) :-)

Give it a try, best of luck!!
Posted By: walknlite Re: brief update between appts - 10-05-2011 03:08 AM
Still having pain, and it has become more constant now. check my update on the "Coping" boards titled "taking a break".
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum