Posted By: Seda Bug Dang It - 10-28-2010 08:59 PM
I have a strange spot that came up on my inside lower lip about 72 hours ago. I thought I should wait maybe a week to 10 days to see if it heals. But an RN friend of mine told me to check in with the doctor and of course they just need to take a look.
This seems a bit of over reaction or do I really need to be this careful?
If there is a recurrence does it usually look like the first one?
Posted By: julieann Re: Dang It - 10-29-2010 12:32 AM
Hi Seda Bug:

What does it look like? I had a strange reddish pimple-looking thing that came up on the inside of my cheek several weeks ago, and like you, I wondered. I couldn't get in to see a doctor for about 3 days, and finally one of the ENT doctors I have looked at it and said "You have a stone from a stopped-up saliva gland." He proceeded to squeeze it like you would a pimple (eeeeeeeek), and finally used something like a blackhead remover thingy to get a white hard thing out of it. It stayed red and was sore for several days. Anyway, I guess anything strange we do need to have checked. I had another spot on the top of my tongue that looked reddish come up a few days ago. I was scheduled for a dental appointment anyway, so I showed it to the dentist. He didn't know what it was but said it didn't look like anything to worry about - said most tongue cancers usually come up on the sides or under the tongue. I went to an ENT doctor and he looked at it and felt around saying it wasn't hard or anything and to just watch it. He prescribed nystatin to rinse in my mouth. That was about 4 days ago, and I think it's better, or at least not so red. I may go to the other ENT doctor next week if it's still there. Anyway, if yours doesn't go away, like you said, in 72 hours, go have it checked. It could be a mouth ulcer - I've had them before on the inside of my lips.
julieann
Posted By: EricS Re: Dang It - 10-29-2010 02:40 PM
Seda,

Do what you need to do to ease your mind. We are all a little paranoid about any thing out of the norm in our mouth...I think it's natural considering what we've been through.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Dang It - 10-29-2010 09:40 PM
Hey Seda,

I say give it a few days to see what it does or doesn't do then if necessary get it checked out.

Hope it's nothing and disappears!
Posted By: Seda Bug Re: Dang It - 11-01-2010 10:23 PM
I am happy to report that it is completely gone. It is amazing how crazy this makes you.
Posted By: julieann Re: Dang It - 11-02-2010 12:24 AM
That is WONDERFUL. I know how you feel - every time I find something new appearing in my mouth, I freak. So happy for you!
julieann
Posted By: Susan3175 Re: Dang It - 11-02-2010 03:57 AM
yAY!!! So glad it's gone. Even as a caregiver I now freak out when I get a sore or pimple in my mouth. It always seems to go away but needless to say I'm always at my dentist for them to check. Thank goodness she is very patient. smile
Posted By: walknlite Re: Dang It - 11-14-2010 10:39 PM
Ever since radiation treatment I have had several sore spots show up in my mouth that send me to the Drs. They are all understanding about it. Most of the time the spots go away in a few days and I worried for nothing. By ENT is always telling me to come in when there is concern because I am not normal. Ha! Ha! My RO said I was at least normal on the worry front. He said he would concerned as well, if he were in my shoes. Right now I have a sore spot on the tip of my tongue and know I have a dentist appt tomorrow so I will have him look at it. Anyway jsut wanted you to know that having those feelings and concerns is completely normal, and I am so glad I am not the only one who gets concerned every time a sore spot shows up.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum