Posted By: Seda Bug Lesson for today "It will never end" - 09-22-2010 11:41 PM
I saw the surgeon today, about the pain at the site of the surgical incision, he said it Might have been a tear but he really doubts it.
He indicated it is excoriated(that means abraded) but no mass or firmness. Might be nerve damage or it might be the healing process. But I need to come back every other week. Of course I had to know why I would want to do that? Apparently recurrences often start out this way. When I asked how long will I be coming in that often he just said be here every other week! Only good news is that Largo has not shown any interest in the area. So at least my "PET" scans are good.
Oh and the pain goes from 0-9 in less than 60 seconds and will
stay for a while or go away in a few minutes. I can NOT laugh or smile without pain, yawning is not going to happen and talking is uncomfortable. I know I am whinning when I have gotten off pretty easy but when I asked about the pain his answer was "we have no concern about the pain!" use Lidocain. Since the pain vaires so much for different amounts of time not sure how I could even take them. I don't process pain meds very well so that is a concern. Are we having fun yet?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Lesson for today "It will never end" - 09-24-2010 01:08 PM
It can take 2 years to recover from treatment. I suffered from intensly painful muscle spasms after both chemo/rad and surgery. I think what you are describing is similiar to the stabbing pains that I had while healing. The pain became less and less, it eventually disappeared. Best wishes for continued good health.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum