Posted By: Coping in Texas Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 01:58 AM
It's been an incredibly long week. Jim entered the hospital last Monday due to his breathing problems, mass on the back of his head and dehydration. Without going into a bunch of details that lots of people on this site are all too familiar with, when comparing the scans that he did on Friday and then Monday night after entering the hospital, there had been significant change. The tumor in his long had grown over his bronchial tube and caused his left lung to collapse. Dr.'s were amazed that he was breathing at all - he switched over to using his right lung and laboring to breathe. The mass on his head had to be operated on as the E.R. hadn't opened it up enough to drain it adequately. Turns out it is the dreaded MRSA bacteria and was tunneling through his head and neck. So, I brought him home Friday night and then shit broke loose - Hospice kept calling me and wanting to know when was I going to be home as they needed to come and make an assessment of him, drop off oxygen, take vitals...Once we got home the hospice nurse came by and got us all set up...then the wound care began, so with many more calls and the right hand not knowing what the left was doing, we finally got things going...then Jim decided to get up out of bed about 3:30 am and before I could get to him, he fell....then I had to call the Hospice nurse tell her what happened and finally hung up on her because I got tired of answering her silly questions...told her if she wanted to check him out, then she knew where we were....Rallied friends and family the next day and as of tonight, have things running smoother, I even give him his vencomyacin treatment thru his port....so I think he's getting a little stronger - we go to radiation tomorrow to shrink the tumor and give him more breathing abilities....Jim saw the Challenger commercial today during the Cowboys game and got weepy eyed----I'll deal with that next week. I'm off of work next week and then will return the following week...I hate it, too...but need to keep my job so that I can keep insurance going. Liz, if you read this, thank you for sending me pictures of Rob - - - it really helped me handle Jim's bandages around his neck and head as they are the same. All I could think of was thank God you sent these as I wouldn't have done as well as I did. Today is the first day that I put on make up since last Monday and I ALWAYS WEAR MAKEUP!!! Cancer won't rob that from me as I don't want Jim seeing his wife, not look her best even though she has slept about 10 hrs. since last Monday.

Thanks everyone for being there for me....I will post more as time allows.

Hugs,
Paula
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 02:38 AM
Paula, I will keep you and Jim in my prayers.
Posted By: slim Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 02:57 AM
Wow Paula! I am so sorry things have spiraled downhill so fast. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel a little bit better but I know there isn't. Sending you and Jim lots of prayers and lots of strength to you. Stay strong but take time to take care of you! Hugs, Wanda
Posted By: penners Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 03:35 AM
Paula, I'm so sorry that Jim (and you) are having such a hard time. Have had you in thoughts and prayers and was wondering how you were doing.

BIG HUG TO YA

D
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 05:27 AM
I'm thinking of you both Paula. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers as you go down this path. Many hugs.

Donna
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 10:55 AM
Adding my prayers to everyone else's, Paula, and hoping for things to go a little smoother for you and Jim. Wish I could be there to help in some way and to give you a big hug.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 12:09 PM
You caregivers are something!!!!!!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 01:14 PM
Paula, Ditto to everything said here. You and Jim are also in my thoughts as well. Sending you strong vibes of love. Thanks for the update, too.
Posted By: Shelley K Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 06:19 PM
Paula I just wanted you to know that you and Jim are in my prayers too.....you are one strong lady. God Bless you.

Shelley
Posted By: rozaroo Paula! - 09-20-2010 06:50 PM
My thought's & prayer's are with you all!
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Entered in Hospice Care - 09-20-2010 08:15 PM
All my best thoughts, prayers and strength to you and Jim, Paula.

- Margaret
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 01:01 AM
Paula, I will keep you and Jim in my prayers. Stay strong!
Posted By: homershoney Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 03:38 AM
so very sorry Paula. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posted By: SusanW Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 06:32 AM
Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers for both of you. I'm so glad you are coming here to get some extra support for yourself. Thinking of you both with much warmth!!!
Posted By: Cookey Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 08:51 AM
Paula i am so glad that even after all this time that our experience is still able to help.My love and thoughts are with you as always.

Posted By: WendyG Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 10:44 AM
My thoughts are with you and Jim.

Wendy
Posted By: Donnarose Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 08:42 PM
Thinking of you both.
Posted By: suemarie Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 09:20 PM
Paula-My thoughts are with you and Jim. As one who has been there-I'm praying for you.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Paula! - 09-21-2010 11:01 PM
Paula, my prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Posted By: wendys Re: Paula! - 09-23-2010 02:34 PM
Paula and Jum, My thoughts and prayers are with you. We are here for you.
Posted By: misskate Re: Paula! - 09-30-2010 02:51 AM
Praying for Jim. So sorry this sounds so difficult. You are his rock! Kate
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum