Posted By: Bloop19 Another biopsy - 08-19-2010 12:10 AM
Had another biopsy today. It is in the exact same place as my first tumor was. Is that common? Damn, I hope it's not malignant again but it probably is. The ENT cut out a great big chunk for pathology and OUCH. He said he would call me Friday. I could tell by the way he acted that he suspected it was cancer. But he said that's where the majority of the radiation was aimed. Does radiation help the cancer come back if it doesn't kill it? Oh I can't get the butterflies out of my stomach. I probably won't sleep until Friday.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Another biopsy - 08-19-2010 02:39 AM
Im sorry you are going thru this again. Hoping and praying the biopsy is negative. It could be scar tissue, lets hope so anyway. Your doc is extreemly fast if you will get the results Fri. Most biopsies take a week for the results. Radiation does not help cancer return, it kills everything in its path. If one tiny cell has hidden and was not hit then it will regrow.

Try your very best to stay busy and not let cancer steal away your time. I know how difficult that is but its in your best interest. Its not cancer til they say it is. Go out and live your life.
Posted By: Bloop19 Re: Another biopsy - 08-19-2010 04:25 AM
Thanks Christine. Right now I am in so much pain I can't think of anything except cancer. The local wore off and my whole mouth just hurts like crazy including my gums and tongue and cheeks and everything. All from a hole under my tongue about half the size of a dime (from the biopsy). Should everything in my mouth hurt like that? Now I'm thinking the cancer is all over the place. I have Hydrochodone but it's not working. It's gonna be a long night.
Posted By: misskate Re: Another biopsy - 08-19-2010 05:01 AM
So sorry to hear you are in pain. Please let your nurse know tommorrow so they can put you on something more effective. It isn't good for you to be in pain and not sleeping. Hang in there. Hoping for the best for you.

KATE
Posted By: Bloop19 Re: Another biopsy - 08-19-2010 05:30 PM
I did manage to get some sleep but when I woke up my tongue filled my entire mouth - and I'm not exaggerating. Is it supposed to swell up that much? I can hardly talk.
Posted By: walknlite Re: Another biopsy - 08-20-2010 11:29 AM
Barbara, I am so sorry you are going through this again. On the tongue swelling, mine swelled so bad that I had to go to the ER and get high powered steroids cause I could not even breathe and it was sticking out my mouth. Please, please, please keep us posted.
Posted By: Bloop19 Re: Another biopsy - 08-20-2010 02:58 PM
They just told me to put ice on it and I did that all evening last night. But it is swelled up again. I am going to call them when they open at 9:00 and tell them.

I am supposed to get results of biopsy today too. Oh how I pray it's scar tissue or an infection. Anything but more damn cancer.
Posted By: wendys Re: Another biopsy - 08-20-2010 03:06 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this! I know the fear your going through. Hang in there! I am sure they can do better for the pain. Tongue swelling, ah yeah, been there. That is one of my most unpleasent memories in all this.
Posted By: Bloop19 Re: Another biopsy - 08-20-2010 11:17 PM
Got the results and finally GOOD NEWS. No cancer, just scar tissue. I am so happy. Now, is there anything I can do to make this hole under my tongue heal better and not get the painful scar tissue or will I likely get a lesion thing there again after a few months? The ENT didn't say to do anything after the first partial glossectomy and now he didn't say anything about this biopsy, which was another big chunk of my tongue.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Another biopsy - 08-21-2010 01:18 AM
YIPPPEEEE!!!!!!!

So happy to hear you got a break. No cancer, yeah!!!!!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Another biopsy - 08-21-2010 03:07 AM
Barbara,

Woohoo--GREAT NEWS!!!!
Posted By: walknlite Re: Another biopsy - 08-21-2010 05:51 PM
I am so happy for you. Whooo Hoooo!!!
Posted By: julieann Re: Another biopsy - 08-21-2010 08:21 PM
DITTO from julieann grin
Posted By: jennie Re: Another biopsy - 08-24-2010 01:59 AM
So glad for you- Celebrate with a popsicle (vodka on ice-)just kidding- hope your tongue heals well.
Posted By: Bloop19 Re: Another biopsy - 08-24-2010 07:24 AM
Thanks so much to everyone for your support. I guess I have another 2-3 weeks before my tongue heals again but it was sure nice to know what it was that was hurting. My daughter said I should try and keep my tongue still to avoid scar tissue developing again. In other words, she says I talk too much. But I am going to try really babying my tongue this time. I had actually thought I was supposed to exercise my tongue but I think it is my jaw that I have to exercise and keep my tongue as still as possible.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Another biopsy - 08-24-2010 05:37 PM
I was given exercises specifically *for* my tongue! Tongue and jaw stretches were equally important, you don't want either one atrophying.

- Margaret
Posted By: rozaroo Re: Another biopsy - 08-24-2010 09:18 PM
Congratulation's! I am so happy for you!
Posted By: Pam M Re: Another biopsy - 08-25-2010 05:27 PM
Never thought I'd be glad that scar tissue would cause anyone problems, but I am this time. Very good to hear that's what has been causing your pain. Do well.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum