Posted By: jennie Cerebellum cancer - 08-07-2010 06:14 AM
So Im not finding much information on this site about cerebellum cancer. Erik has been through 2 rounds of tongue cancer in the past 4 years (seems to pop up at the 2 year mark each time)and at this latest 2 year check up, the doc noticed speech changes. His tongue is sluggish. Went in for a PET the next morning and by early afternoon, had a call from the doc that his cerebellum was positive. (and a lymph gland too- but dont know where- doc lost us on "brain") So anyone know if this is somewhat common? I know the brain must be more susceptible to it- being so close- but anyone know outcomes? Actually I know statistical outcomes- anyone come out with a good outcome?
Posted By: walknlite Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-07-2010 11:18 AM
I can not answe your questions, but wanted to tell you I will put you on my prayer list.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-07-2010 11:40 AM
Jennie, Im sorry to hear of your husbands latest results. PET scans are known for false positives. Is your husband being treated at a cancer center?

Im sorry, I dont know stats. Im not one who pays attention to that info. Im a 3X in 3 yrs cancer survivor, the stats are against me and I probably shouldnt be here. Thats why I ignore the numbers.

A second opinion at a major cancer center is a good idea.
Posted By: misskate Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-07-2010 06:05 PM
Jennei- So sorry to hear of this news. Have they identified the tumor and it's size? Hopefully they could operate and remove it. Definitely get some advice and make a decision on treatment as quickly as you can.

Praying for a positive outcome from this.

Sending you love and strength. K
Posted By: SusanW Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-07-2010 10:50 PM
Jennie, I can only imagine the level of fear and anxiety you are feeling right now. We just had weird results from my husband's biopsy and I just made myself crazy looking for outcome, results ,etc.
Christine's words were just helpful to me as a reminder that each case is very different.
Have they told you what they are thinking in terms of treatment???
Posted By: jennie Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-09-2010 04:49 AM
He had a contrast MRI done on Saturday and we are expecting results tomorrow.(Monday) Of course the doctor is being cryptic until the MRI results are in. He has only told us that this is very serious. I totally agree with you Christine- statistics are for other people- because so far Erik has blown the statistics-
Waiting and only having part of the story is soo hard. This is when I realize that no matter how far away from the disease, (2 years again) it has a vice-like lock on our lives.
Oh and a side note about CCC's- Erik is being seen in a very good practice that advises only with three other CCC's tumor boards and follows their recommendations. He is also followed by a doc at Fred Hutch in Seattle. So we believe we have some of the greatest care available in Spokane.
Posted By: SusanW Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-09-2010 10:23 PM
Hey Jennie, wondering if you got the results and any other info yet? Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you.

Glad you feel so confident about the MDs. It really helps to know that a competent, caring team is behind you.
Posted By: misskate Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-11-2010 05:34 AM
Jennie- Thinking of you and hoping the MRI went alright.
XOOXO Kate
Posted By: jennie Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-18-2010 04:24 AM
MRI results came back NO CANCER!! This was fantastic news for us! The PET came up positive in his cerebellum because he had a small stroke. We are pretty much the only people alive who have reason to celebrate a stroke. He has ventricular stenosis to his cerebellum, doctors believe that it is because of the radiation to his head and neck (oh that darn radiation)- He will see a neurologist this week and we will see what he thinks should be done- so onward through this little detour in our crazy and unbelievable lives. Thank you for the support- once again - Grateful for OCF.
Posted By: Mark Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-18-2010 04:29 AM
SwEET! that is fantastic news!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-18-2010 12:23 PM
jennie, CONGRATS!!!!! So happy for you that the resulwst showed no cancer. Darn false positives from the PET. Ive had that same sacer myself, its the worst feeling in the world. So happy that it turned out to be clear. Now keep on celebrating just living life smile
Posted By: Shelley K Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-18-2010 07:25 PM
Wonderful news Jennie!!

All the best,

Shelley
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-19-2010 12:50 AM
Jennie,

Your news is so good to read. I am so happy for both of you!

Anita
Posted By: wendys Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-20-2010 03:26 PM
congratz!!! It's so good to hear a positive end to these scares!! Thank You so much for letting us know.
Posted By: SusanW Re: Cerebellum cancer - 08-20-2010 07:49 PM
I had to laugh at what you said about the stroke. Good attitude.
So glad it turned out to be false. Have an amazing weekend celebrating!!! Congratulations.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum