Posted By: Kris Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-16-2010 04:17 PM
On 2/5/10 I finished breast cancer treatment. I have symptoms of numbness in my jaw since 11/09 when I finished radiation. An MRI at the time showed nothing but since the symptoms had not gone away another MRI was scheduled. So on Friday, 2/5/20 when my office was celebrating with me that I finished breast cancer treatment, I learned from my head and neck surgeon that I had a tumor on the nerve in my jaw and it was cancer. He was going to the tumor board the next week to determine my treatment. Really ruined the celebration!

We decided to get a second opinion from another area cancer surgeon who looked at the MRI and said yes, you have cancer on the nerve and I want to removed your jaw. He wanted to do a PET scan before he went to the tumor board to see how far the cancer had spread. While we waited for results to come in the first tumor board said they wanted to schedule surgery first week of March and we said we were waiting for the second opinion. It was a long week and a half while we waited for the the PET scan and the results from the second opinion. On the day that we new the tumor board was meeting I recieved a call at work from surgeon number two...PET scan was totally CLEAR! No cancer showed from my hips to the top of my head! He could not explain it, but wanted to repeat the MRI. The next MRI was totally clear too!

All they can say is they don't know why I have numbness, but I do not have cancer on the nerve. Many people and family have been praying for me and I thank God for the miracle in my life!I still have some numbness but I can live with that! I work with 43 people who now are not as scared about hearing the words "you have cancer". It can be beat! Never give up hope and faith! - Kris
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-17-2010 01:38 AM
Kris

Congratulations on the clear MRI.

It sounds like the first surgeon you went to was looking at another patients MRI or alternatively he REALLY needs to get his eyes checked -- sooner rather than later!!!

I certainly wouldn't be going back to him in a hurry...

Karen
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-17-2010 02:05 PM
Kris,

Your experience demonstrates how important a second opinion is when someone tells you it's cancer. Congratulations on your good news!

Anita
Posted By: julieann Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-17-2010 05:41 PM
Gosh, Kris. Now that is really scary. So happy to hear you are okay, and cancer free!!!!

Julieann
Posted By: Eileen Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-17-2010 11:53 PM
Hi Kris,
I totally echo Julieann's post. What a nightmare experience that must have been after all you have been through. Glad all is well again.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Kris Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-18-2010 05:45 PM
All I can say is it is SO important to be your own avvocate and be proactive is finding second opions as soon as possible. I was going to a major northwest cancer treatment for both of my cancers. They had all my records to review before it went to the cancer tumor board. The second opion was at another well know hospital in the city. I wouldn't want my experience to make someone lose trust in their doctor. What I and my family appreciated was a surgeon that called to appologize for a result that he couldn't explain! I am still going to that doctor for scheduled followups.

When you deal with cancer you just need to hold on to your faith and have peace that there is someone in control of the path you take up and down that mountain. My fear was gone this time around and maybe that made the difference. - Kris
Posted By: EzJim Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-18-2010 07:38 PM
Maybe they saw a false positive as happens with Pets??
Posted By: Kris Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-19-2010 04:41 PM
The PET scan was clear. The tumor showed up on the MRI and the radiologist report said it was highly suggestive of cancer. Both surgeons made their diognosis from his report. They didn't give us much hope and one even said I had 1 year to live if I didn't treat the cancer aggresively. This surgeon scheduled the PET to see how far the cancer had spread to see if surgery was even an option at this point. My oncologist after reviewing both sureons reports suggested that they are just used to seeing negative results from head and neck cancers and not survivors. It is nice to prove them wrong!

Even though I have peace about eternal life every extra year I can hug my husband, encourage my youngest through the teenage years and maybe dance at a few more weddings puts a smile on my lop sided face! - Kris
Posted By: Patcey1 Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-19-2010 07:03 PM
Wow Kris, I love your attitude! I want some of that! I have a biopsy tomorrow and I hope it goes as well as your good news. Hoping my PET is a false positive! You put a smile on my face today! Thanx!
Pat
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-20-2010 12:05 AM
Kris, what great news!!!!! False positives can scare you to death. So glad you are in the clear smile
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-21-2010 02:26 AM
Kris, I am elated for you!
Posted By: misskate Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-21-2010 04:19 AM
Me too. Wow what an emotional rollercoaster you've been on. I can't believe that they were about to do such a drastic surgery to you. Crazy. I'm so glad you are healthy and well. Take Care and go out and celebrate life!
Posted By: Kris Re: Third Time Around Became a Miracle - 04-24-2010 06:28 PM
Pat,
I hope your biopsy results came back with good news. I shall ad you to my prayer list! Best to you- Kris
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum