Posted By: Carol L Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 04:12 PM
I am trying to make a thread about what is happening to me and my 3rd new primary tumor diagnosed yesterday.....any help?
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 04:16 PM
If I am where I should be and I hope that I am, I had a biopsy taken last Tuesday and was called in yesterday and told by my oral cancer surgeon that I have cancer again. It is behind the flap but towards the back of my tongue. It will be hard to reach. He will probably split my jaw again and maybe remove two back teeth to get to it. I have had radiation and cannot open my mouth very wide. I will have a petscan and am scheduled for surgery on 4/16. Thanks for listening......and yes, I am dreading it and am afraid. I totally trust my doctor and he said he believes he can get it, so I am better off than I could have been. Thanks!
Posted By: Eileen Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 05:31 PM
Carol,
I am so sorry to hear you have to do this again. I am glad to hear that your doctor thinks he can get it all and hopefully this will be the last time you have to deal with it. Please update your signature so people know what your previous diagnosis and treatments were. Click on MY STUFF at the top and then profile and fill the inforation in the signature section. Remember to save it.

Keep us posted on the results of your pet scan.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 05:36 PM
Thank you Eileen!
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 10:15 PM
Jerry, help me....trying to start a new threat about my latest with oc. don't think I did it....Thanks! Carol
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 10:15 PM
not threat, that is thread
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-25-2010 11:46 PM
Carol, Im very sorry to ready you must go thru this yet again. I know right now you must feel like you are in panic mode. You must be so scared. I know when I was told I was sick again, I thought I was done for. Here I am almost a year later doing great!!!! If I can do it, anybody can including you.

From what your signature shows, it looks like you have a couple weeks before your surgery. Start getting everything in order. Being busy will help pass the time. Surgery is usually much easier than going thru radiation. You will get thru this and move on.

Be brave!!!!! I know its so hard right now, but it will be ok. Many people have successfully gotten thru having cancer 3 times. Sorry you have just joined the 3-timer club.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-26-2010 01:44 AM
Carol,

You are here in the right place and the thread is fine.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-26-2010 04:47 AM
Carol: Christine is certainly a shining example that sh** happens, we deal with it, and we go on. You can do this. I am sure right now you feel overwhelmed, but you CAN do this, and we all are here to help you.

Hugs

Donna
Posted By: Cookey Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-26-2010 09:27 AM
Hi Carol
i am so sorry to see you back here again but its still a great place to get the support you know you will need
love liz
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-26-2010 03:49 PM
Thanks all, I feel like I am in a nightmare.....I hate OC, it is one of the worst cancers to get, but I am preaching to the choir. I mean the first time was devastating, the second horrible with the jaw split and now this. I can only hope and pray my petscan just shows it on the tongue. Thanks for all your support, I really need it!
Posted By: misskate Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-26-2010 08:21 PM
Hi Carol- Sorry to hear about this! I know you will beat this once and for all. Thinking of you ! Kate
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-26-2010 08:45 PM
Thank you Sweetie, hope you are doing well!
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 07:43 AM
Hi Carol. It is now late at night, but I am hoping that you will have a better day tomorrow as you prepare to fight the beast for the 3rd time. Its just not fair, but I know you can get through it. We are all here to help you. Been thinking of you and praying for you all day. Try to stick to the present and do not allow your mind to get into that catastrophic thinking (or as my Oklahoma friend says "stinkin thinkin"). Cancer steals so much time from us - do not let it steal today!!

Hugs

Donna
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 01:24 PM
Hi Carol....so sorry to hear about your news. We all know the fear and panic when we hear those words. Hearing them for a 3rd time is just not fair. We are all here for you and will help you get through this...hang in there and keep up posted. When is your PET scheduled for?
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 03:32 PM
Hi, thank you for the kinds words, I swear I am in a nightmare. I will find out Monday about petscan......hoping and praying it is only in tongue.....thanks for your well wishes!
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 03:33 PM
THanks Donna, loved "chatting with you" yesterday......I am really trying to stay in the moment.......xoxoxooxxo
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 07:33 PM
It is a nightmare...I wish there was a way to make it easier for you. (((hugs))
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 07:51 PM
Carol

Third time sucks. It is so unfair and frustrating. I know how blindsided and desperate I felt when the cancer came back a second time. Are you being treated at John Hopkins since you are in Baltimore? Keeping my fingers crossed for your petscan
Charm
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 08:45 PM
Hi, I go to Univ. of Maryland Hospital in Balto. Been with my oral cancer doctor since 1st time in May 2002. He is wonderful! I do feel blindsided, I thought I was done with it......Thanks!
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-27-2010 09:55 PM
Carol,

Just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and I send you my very best well wishes.

Anita
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-28-2010 05:03 PM
Carol: When do you get the results of the additional testing? You mentioned you had a surgery date - was that the 16th of April?

Hope today finds you enjoying the sun and good things of life. Baby steps as you move towards getting rid of this for the 3rd time. Hugs
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-28-2010 08:28 PM
Thanks Ladies. I still have to have my pet scan done and pre-op, but yes, surgery is scheduled for 4/16. My doctor will be out of the country for Easter week or I might have gotten it done sooner. And Donna, you are so right when you say baby steps as I move towards ridding it a 3rd time.......xoxoxoxo
Posted By: misskate Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-29-2010 02:46 AM
OK 4/16. I will be thinking of you on that day and sending you healing thoughts Carol. You are such a strong and brave woman. Hang in there and I hope you aren't feeling too sick. Eat your heart out this week;) K
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-29-2010 02:27 PM
Thanks Sweetie, xoxoxoxoxoxo
Posted By: Carol L Re: Third Time for Oral Cancer - 03-29-2010 02:31 PM
I am hoping to get the petscan done this week....have other pre-op stuff on Thursday.....kind of wish the surgery was sooner, but my DOctor is out of the country for Easter vacation.
Somebody pinch me!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum