Posted By: Carmen M Taste Buds - 11-15-2009 05:23 AM
This last week I have noticed that foods are tasting different or have to taste at all. I am six months out of treatment and over the course of the last six months all my taste buds have returned with the exception of sweet (Not a problem - keeps the weight off). However, bread has just now taken on a bitter taste where as a week ago, it tasted "normal"; and unless I use alot of salt on other items, they have no taste - these are items that just a week previous I could taste. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I wonder if these ole taste buds are just a moving target for awhile. It is definitely not a big deal, just wondering?
Posted By: Markus Re: Taste Buds - 11-15-2009 05:48 AM
Your taste buds are recovering, they may not do this at the same rate which may result in surprises.
Even after 2 years I detect changes! (salt and vinegar chips.....), so 6 month is quite early.

M

Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Taste Buds - 11-15-2009 01:38 PM
Carmen,

First of all, your taste buds are pretty quick healers! After over a year, mine are still not right. From reports here, anticipate up to two years for 'full recovery.'

- Margaret
Posted By: Carmen M Re: Taste Buds - 11-15-2009 03:58 PM
As I suspected. I just need to be more patient. I was just taken by surprise when all of a sudden it was different. It is not a problem as eating at this point something I have to do, so I will just try something different to eat. Thank you!
Posted By: Steve F. Re: Taste Buds - 11-16-2009 05:14 AM
Carmen:
Three years later and I can still get different taste sensations from the same foods. I guess it just depends on many things such as hydration, saliva production (If any), rest, seasoning, etc. Not sure any of us will ever understand that one! Hang in there and just keep experimenting.
Steve
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Taste Buds - 11-17-2009 07:33 PM
Hi Carmen

Like Steve I am at the three year mark and still find stuff changing taste on me, not nearly as often as in the first year or not as drastic of a change.

Hang in there, I remember at 6 months WILD changes were still occuring .

Kevin
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Taste Buds - 11-27-2009 01:45 PM
Hi Carmen,
Martin has now been out of treatment since October last year. His taste buds had much improved by January then he got a stomach bug and they all went. Then they came back and last week he could eat most stuff except fruit and Sunday night he was violently ill (a stomach bug again) and his taste buds have now regressed. Apparently everything tastes like stamp glue or plastic. I think it's the being sick and the dehydration that caused this, because it's now happened twice. It's a bit like a seesaw it seems to me this taste bud healing.
Just be patient they should come back. 6 months is really not a long time as far taste buds are concerned.
Good luck
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum