Posted By: Sammy735 brachy therapy - 01-19-2009 01:20 PM
i had base of tongue tumor 2 inches long, stage 4.radition & chemo and brachy therapy 18 month ago and I am cancer free, and would to know if anyone has had brachy therapy.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: brachy therapy - 01-31-2009 02:49 AM
Sammy,

Although not a very common treatment for OC, several members have had brachytherapy.

Ezjim is one, but right now he is recuperating from surgery and is not on the board.

You can contact a member, Donnarose, whose mother had brachytherapy. She has not been on the forum lately, but I know should would be happy to answer your questions.

Use the "User List" link at the top of this page to find her and PM her.

Jerry
Posted By: Mark Re: brachy therapy - 01-31-2009 06:44 AM
Sammy, Welcome.

Brachytherapy is great when the tumor is located where the treatment can reach. I am glad you have had success!
Posted By: Donnarose Re: brachy therapy - 01-31-2009 05:26 PM
Hello Sammy,
My mom did have the brachy treatment, I/she would be happy to speak with you. I'm not sure what questions you have, I think it might be best if you ask them and I'll try to answer them individually. As you know, overload of info before you are ready can be disconcerting. I'm here when you are ready, if I don't respond immediately go on my profile and email me and I'll get on. By the way, my mom is amazing, she has and continues to improve everyday. She is my hero.
Looking forward to talking to you.
Donna
Posted By: RichieS Re: brachy therapy - 03-17-2009 08:37 PM
I had brachytherapy in May, 2008. This was for my second bout with cancer. The first bout was chemo & radiation together. I'm still trying to recover from the effects of the last treatment. It left my mouth very sore and I have been on pain meds ever since. For over three months I got a lot of infections (neck, tongue, glands, jaw). I have only had a few during 2009.
My latest biopsy (Feb. 2009) showed cancer again and radiation can't be used so I will have surgery to try and cut the cancer out completely. They are doing my tongue and jaw next month.

Richard
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum