Posted By: Mark Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-19-2008 04:17 AM
Hello everyone, It has been a long time since I was here to post. I miss my old friends and hope you are all doing better than anyone thought possible!

I have something to offer as a saliva substitute when eating. It is simple, low cost and I find it works better than anything else I have tried and it has a side effect that most will find acceptable if not beneficial.

Get a jar of non-flavored "bulk forming dietary fiber supplement" known as Psyllium Seed Husk Fiber. (Metamucil) There are generic suppliers too. Mix a glass folowing the regular suggested dose or at a rate of 1/2 the usual powder. Leave it stand for several minutes before you start eating your meal (it will thicken). Hopefully you will find that the texture and slippery feel of the mix will help with swallowing and will not alter the taste of your meal. I personally use slightly warm water in the mix. You can also carry the powder in a small zip lock with you for dining out.

While this is a safe over the counter product you should talk with your doctor about this to be sure using the product in this way will not be a problem.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-19-2008 05:37 AM
Metamucil. You can buy it in jars, capsules or little single use packets that are real easy to take out to dinner at any drug store. Great idea.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-22-2008 03:33 AM
Mark,

It's so great to have you visit us again and with such a great suggestion. I can't believe that it's been over 3.5 years since we first spoke on the phone. Your encouragement meant so much to me. I never would have thought that I would surpass you in the number of posts. I hope that you take this as a challenge and that you can find the time to visit more often. You have always been one of the most knowledgable contributors to this forum.

I hope that you and your family are doing well.

Jerry
Posted By: GaryG Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-25-2008 11:00 PM
Tried the warm product last night with dinner. All I can say is wow...worked like a charm.
Thanks for the great idea.
Posted By: Becky C Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-28-2008 11:38 PM
Hi,
I like your idea, but I have a question about how/when to drink it. Do you consume it as a drink while you are eating or do you drink all of it before you start eating?
I have trouble eating because my tongue doesn't work correctly and all the food tries to stick to my tongue.
Thanks,
Becky
Posted By: EzJim Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-29-2008 01:36 AM
That is fun huh Becky, I have that problem with everything I swallow. Some of the meds have quite the taste when they stick and dissolve. Can't take metamucil it clumps where I had Nissen Fundiplication on my Esophagus in 1995.
Posted By: Becky C Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 11-29-2008 02:28 AM
Hi EZJim,
No, It is not fun. Either my mouth is super dry or my tongue is burning with extra thick mucous. I have just had 3 days of radiation so far & I start chemo next week. The holidays seem bleak, but if I am cured from this nasty disease it is worth it! The cancer center here is super, I am happy with the decision I made.
Take care,
Love, Becky
Posted By: Mark Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 12-02-2008 07:08 AM
Hi Becky, I use the mix as a beverage during meals. I take small sips of the mix while chewing and swallowing. It is slippery and has little taste of it's own.

GaryG, I am glad it helped for you!

Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 12-11-2008 05:07 AM
Thank you Mark for this wonderful idea. I can hardly wait to try it. I know how all of us struggle with little or no saliva.

I just ordered on the web. 5 tubs of Oral Balance Gel moisturizer. I was tired of running out every week. I use this to help take my pills. I coat the pill and then some in mouth and then drink with water. It works.!!

I just had dialation done in Oct. So that helps too.

Thanks again. Diane
Posted By: UncleVern Re: Something to replace saliva when eating - 01-16-2009 11:47 AM
Besides the full line of Biotene products, I mix a can of Instant breakfast, 1 bottle of ovaltine and a bit of sugar. Mixing about 3/4 of a glass of that powder with whole milk does the trick for me, it provides a nice way to keep my weight up when I can't or won't deal with solid food.
My dentist also has me rinsing with baking soda solution to shift my mouth PH back after eating.
[{:-)
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum