Posted By: sandisays Adding fiber - 07-20-2017 08:58 PM
When you live only on liquid through a feeding tube, how do you add sufficient fiber. Adults should have 25 g a day but most only get 15 g. daily. The formula I'm on has zero fiber in it. I've added a fiber powder which equals 9 g daily and has only produce lotsa lotsa gas and slightly firm diaherra. Any one have suggestions?
Posted By: sooner Re: Adding fiber - 07-20-2017 10:03 PM
I can only tell that during treatment my husband, eating with a PEG tube, was having a huge struggle with lots of digestive issues. The protocol from the Cancer Center just was not providing results that were improving his situation. We made an appointment with the GI doc who put in his PEG tube. We took everything the Center told us to do and reviewed it with him. Best money we ever spent. He modified what we were doing to deal with several digestive issues related to treatment, with fiber management being one of them. In a nutshell, he felt they were being too conservative with what they were telling us to do. It made a huge difference. He had us try his first line of treatment and told us to call ASAP if this did not work and he would help us modify. He is still using his PEG tube but less and we have had to adjust as he has started eating more foods. You may need to let someone on your team know and ask for a different approach.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Adding fiber - 07-21-2017 12:03 AM
Do you have a nutritionist at yoru treatment facility you can talk with? There are many formulas that have fiber added. Check with your doc or the nutritionist. Some patients add benefiber or other similar over the counter fiber product to their formula. Easiest way to add things is if you are doing the over night feedings thru the kangaroo pump. You can put 3 cans (with a little water) into a 1000ml bag along with fiber or other additive, shake well and let it run overnight while you sleep. No feeing pump? Check with your doc or nutritionist to arrange to give you a prescription for one. You can get this thru a medical supply company along with all the necessary requirements (drain sponges, syringes, etc).
Posted By: bjmpittsburgh Re: Adding fiber - 07-21-2017 03:35 PM
ISO-Source contains 3.8 g per box so to maintain the minimum you would use 7 boxes per day.

You may want to supplement your current formula with another source to reach your daily fiber goals. Talk with a doctor or nutritionist before you start.

In Pittsburgh, we have GNC's and they have all sorts of powdered supplements that could be pushed through the PEG.

Good Luck
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum