Posted By: cougardad62 Osmolite - 07-09-2017 12:43 AM
Has anyone used this and if so can I inject this into my feeding tube or do I need a pump?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Osmolite - 07-09-2017 02:13 AM
Ive seen plenty of members who have used this formula. It can go into your feeding tube however you normally do your feedings. Some patients have trouble tolerating the faster ways (gravity or the push methods) of doing feedings and will use a pump to run slowly overnight or while watching tv during the day. I preferred the pump as my stomach is very sensitive and I couldnt tolerate the quicker feedings. As with any formula, make sure you thoroughly flush the feeding tube with at least 60cc of water after a feeding.

PS... Here's some assistance info for anyone who has trouble affording the high cost of using formula and the other feeding tube necessities like drain sponges, feeding bags, syringes, etc. Abbott (manufacturer of Osmolite) along with most of the manufacturers of the other prescription formulas has programs to help patients in need. Ive already gotten this myself when I was going thru some tough times. I received 12 cases of my formula at no cost. Theres also the Oley Foundation who matches those patients who have extra supplies with those who need formula and/or supplies for only the cost of s&h (used to be around $16 a case a few years ago). Anyone who has leftover formula (watch the expiration dates!) and/or supplies can go thru Oley to donate their extras someone who needs it.

Oley Foundation Exchange Program

Abbott Patient Assistance Program

Posted By: cougardad62 Re: Osmolite - 07-09-2017 02:41 AM
Thanks Christine!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum