Posted By: beermanx Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-25-2014 01:54 AM
Hi, i just had my peg tube removed today. Doctor said "count backwards from 10 to 0"! I got to 7 and he yanked it out. I kinda feel more normal , i guess.

Question on shakes. I need to keep up my calories. Tonight i made a shake with, 3 scoops vanilla ice cream, chocolate boost, whole white milk, 3 spoon fulls of peanut butter, and a banana. Is this a good mix for calories? Do any of you have some recipes for my nutra bullet? Thanks and prayers to all.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-25-2014 01:57 AM
Your shake sounds great!!!

Easy to Eat Food List

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake (1200++ calories per shake)

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to what works best for you.

Hang in there! Very soon you will be coming out of the tunnel.
Posted By: beermanx Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-25-2014 06:50 PM
Thank you.... The peg tube was a life saver. Now i have to work on getting the calories by mouth... thanks
Posted By: Hockeydad Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-25-2014 07:42 PM
Don't forget about the water. Also boost and ensure should be in play. However, I remember, being two months out, I was really sick and tired of those little bottle of corn syrup and vegetable oil. I hope your taste starts to come back soon. It makes it a lot easier to eat.
Posted By: beermanx Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-25-2014 09:29 PM
Thanks. Yep, i have boost and ensure, i drink with meals and as a snack. Taste is so-so. Its my salivary glands that are shot. They are all swollen, etc. Im 7 1/2 weeks out of treatment.
Posted By: beermanx Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-26-2014 03:36 PM
Just talked to my RO doc, he is pleased with my progress. He also told me i was permitted to drink a few beers, with Dinner, etc... Still not sure about it...
Posted By: Uptown Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-26-2014 04:45 PM
When in doubt, do without. It's easier than wondering if you are causing a recurrence. Just my opinion.
Posted By: beermanx Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-26-2014 05:10 PM
True. My ENT told me absolutely no tobacco. He never mentioned alcohol. Im gonna talk to all my doctors about this.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-26-2014 05:47 PM
Alcohol is also a risk factor, increasing with tobacco combined. We hear a lot about tobacco, but not much about alcohol.
Posted By: Vanpaddler Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-26-2014 08:02 PM
All those are good additions to your milkshakes. The chocolate/peanut butter/banana was probably my most used combination. I actually keep bananas in the freezer. Easier if you peel them before freezing. I'd snap them in half and decide if I want half, a whole or even more depending on how much milkshake I wanted that day.

Also added whey protein, frozen cherries, raspberries, blueberries, etc. coconut milk, mint, vanilla extract, ovaltine, etc.

Hmm, a chocolate stout milkshake might be pretty good. whistle (Yes, we do hear that alcohol could be bad for you. I'll leave it to others to decide if alcohol in small amounts is ok for them. I don't know how much of a contributing factor a beer or two on a weekend evening could possibly be, but I still enjoy them on occasion. If you're worried about it, don't drink them at all, but I'm guessing by your username that you might appreciate the many different styles of beer out there.)
Posted By: beermanx Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 09-27-2014 04:19 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes, i loved a few beers when working outside, fishing, sitting around a camp fire, etc. I, m gonna talk with all 4 of my doctors. My RO said moderation would not hurt me.

Yes, i love messing around with different stuff to throw in a shake. Since tube is out, gotta find different mixes for boost and ensure.. I made strawberry, banana ensure shake with berries. ~mmmmmmmmmm
Posted By: gmcraft Transition from PEG to eating - 01-05-2015 05:39 PM
John is hoping to lose the PEG tube at some point, now that he is able to swallow. The problem is when he drinks his Ensure 1.5, it seems to get stuck in his throat and creates a lot of phlegm and stops him swallowing more. The MO has made it very clear that he has to keep his weight (which is 183 lb). Is there any advice or suggestions on what he can try?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Peg tube is out. Questions? - 01-05-2015 07:10 PM
The following list are foods that geared towards patients who are relearning how to eat. The foods are less spicy and easier to swallow.

Make sure for at the very least, the first year after finishing rads calories are at least 2500 and water is 48-64 oz every day. After rads, the patient needs a long time to recover. It takes a full 2 years for a complete recovery. Intake, especially higher protein is what will help make the recovery easier.

Congrats on the feeding tube removal and best wishes!!!

Easy to Eat Foods list
Posted By: Nancy14 Re: Transition from PEG to eating - 01-07-2015 02:00 AM
Though my PEG has been out for a while, I still drink Ensure several times a week to help keep my weight up. I have found that my appetite is not what it used to be so I often have a high calorie shake as well. I buy the Boost VHC (530 calories) through Amazon and mix with ice-cream, milk and a few scoops of Carnation Breakfast powder. The texture, while thick like a shake, can be blended with more milk or ice to thin it out; maybe that consistency will be easier than Ensure/Boost by itself.

While not the healthiest, I used whole milk in all food preparations - trying to add calories whereever I could, and ate a fair amount of mac & cheese, potates with butter & sour cream, etc.

I hope John's progress with swallowing continues and becomes easier with each day. I share his story with all my doctors so they become aware of it and can know of his success!

Contined best wishes and prayers for all,

Nancy

Posted By: gmcraft Re: Transition from PEG to eating - 01-07-2015 06:27 PM
Thanks Nancy14 and ChristineB for your suggestions. I guess we will try and take it slowly so that he won't feel he has "failed." I also spoke to the visiting nurse who is going to try and arrange for a dietitian to come see John and give us pointers on how to manage the transition.

Nancy, I am so glad you are talking to the other doctors about John's procedure. Even doctors have told us that they don't often come across people who have a blocked esophagus. In response, I always say that people just give up and go away since it looks like nothing can be done.

John's IR will be presenting his new technique at an Endoscopy Conference in Europe sometime this year. It will also be published soon, I think.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum