Posted By: missyp Best Software for speech - 03-15-2014 11:18 PM
my husband will be going home with a trach and will likely not have the ability to speak in the future, he has voicebox but no tongue. What software has been most helpful in using for speaking vs just writing all the time?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 01:09 AM
I have a friend who uses an ipad with a text to talk program. She types and the ipad will say what she writes. It works very well.
Posted By: zengalib Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 01:23 AM
Christine, do you happen to know what app she uses for the iPad. I have checked out a couple of them, and they do work well, but you have to be online to use them. I would like to find one that can be used offline, if I'm not near wi fi.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 01:25 AM
I will have her reply with more info.
Posted By: zengalib Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 01:26 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: Cindy721 Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 02:09 AM
Hello! I am the friend of whom Christine spoke. I have been using my iPad to speak now for over a year. It is called Voice Reader and the company is Linguatec. It was a whole $1.99 and for 99 cents more you don't need an Internet connection.
There are many voices available and if you ever go to a foreign country, you can change the language, type it in English and it will translate for you.
Hope it helps you!
Cindy
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 07:33 AM
Kris uses Speakit. It works very well . No internet connection needed.
Just download the app. You can have it on your tablet or phone which is handy.
Missyp if your husband still has his voice box he will indeed be able to make speech. Try it yourself. Keep your tongue still and try to talk,your speech is still very intelligible.. While he has the trach tube in place using a tablet with Speakit will work well for him. Once he loses the Trach he will be able to talk, people just need to really listen.
Kris has had both a total Glossectomy and a total laryngectomy. He has a TEP, a tracheosophageal puncture, with a plastic implant to enable speech.
Cindy, do you not have a TEP?

Hope this helps,
Tammy
Posted By: zengalib Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 03:27 PM
Thanks, guys. Cindy, I had already installed Voice Reader, but hadn't realized that you could use it offline. So, I went ahead and paid the extra .99. I am home now where I have wi fi, but I am anxious to try it out.
Posted By: missyp Re: Best Software for speech - 03-16-2014 11:32 PM
thank you for the suggestions. I will get those appls loaded on his phone. do you know if it works with android devices.. he has an iphone but a kindle HD.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Best Software for speech - 03-17-2014 03:38 PM
Hey - I do agree with tammy - no tongue doesn't necessarily mean no speech. Hopefully with therapy at some point he will regain his speech. As for a kindle. Not sure what aps are available. Maybe even go for a cheap galaxy tablet? hugs
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum