Posted By: jneal3 Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-11-2014 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm taking in 8 cans of Ensure Plus to get the 3K calories I need (half through mouth, half peg, swallowing isn't so good yet), but I just noticed that there are 20g of sugar in each one, making for a whopping 160g of sugar/day. Is there a way to get the high caloric content of the Ensures without all the sugar? My near-term solution is to go back to pumping in Osmolite 1.5's which are also 355 cals/each, but at some point I want to be able to ditch the peg and swallow everything(and swallowing Osmolites is not an option), and I haven't figured out what solution has as high a caloric content as the Ensure Plus. I'd rather not drink 10-12 cans of something that has lower sugar but also lower cals.

Thanks.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 01:45 AM
I think there is something made for diabetics. Not sure but Glucerna seems to stick in my head. That might be the name of it or maybe just a commercial thats on TV too often.

For right now try not to worry too much about things like sugar. I know its best to avoid it but it is more important to get your daily calories.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 05:15 AM
Yes. Glucerna is sugar free. It is a preparation for diabetics.
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 01:57 PM
Hi Joe, I would also like a canned shake product that's not based on corn syrup. Seems even healthier shakes, like Orgain for oral or Compleat for tube, still list brown rice syrup, etc. as a dominant ingredient.

You can make smoothies with healthier carb sources. I make a 335-calorie smoothie that's very low in refined sugar and has 27.6 grams protein. PM me if you want the recipe.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 04:59 PM
It is VERY simple to stay away from simple carbs and get at least the same caloric density using protein powders. There are hundreds of flavors and variations. Get some smaller sampler sizes and get off the canned sugar. Both carbs and sugars have the same caloric density. Fats contain twice the calories so if you need weight gain, go for foods with fats.
Posted By: jneal3 Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone, this is all good info. Of course I've also just read the study about how excess protein intake in your 30's-50's raises your cancer risk, so now I'm doubting whether I should be taking in such high protein amounts. Christine, I totally agree that cals come first, but since this is a long-term issue for me I want to start off with good habits. Mamacita i'll be pm'ing you, thanks.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 08:47 PM
I use Glucerna occasionally, 1.5 Cal, 8 ounces, and has 356 calories, 19.6grams of protein, 31.5 grams of carbs, and 17.6grams of fat. It's not sugar free, has fructose. Sugar increases saliva, increases appetite especially when combined with fat, so I'm not too concerned at this point. 3000 calories is kind of high, depending on your height, weight, activity, medical condirions, recovery or wanting to gain weight. For my weight, 175 lbs and height, activity level its about 2100 calories a day I need to maintain my weight. I know protein can cause a hardship on the organs, like liver and kidneys, and recommendations vary up to 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 08:58 PM
Daily intake of 3000 calories for many is not too much considering where they are at in their treatment or recovery stages. Higher protein intake can help with a patients ability to recover. All of this is individualized and goes back to the old saying...what works for some might not work for others, everyone is different. Its always best to ask a medical professional like a doctor or nutritionist for their professional recommendation.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-12-2014 09:38 PM
Here is an interactive tool from the USDA, for health care professionals, to calculate the daily recommended nutrients, but probsbly not the sole, and only source they go by, I would say.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/

Posted By: jneal3 Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-13-2014 05:16 PM
I was actually less than impressed with the nutritionists' advice I received (my CCC is Univ of Michigan), they weren't very numbers oriented, just kind of gave me generic advice (monitor your weight, drink x-amount of water, etc) and took down what I was 'eating' at the time, which was about two months post-surgery. It seemed they were mostly concerned with my not losing weight during radiation, which of course they should have been, and almost not at all concerned with 'normal' healthy diet issues, of which too much sugar is one (I'm not diabetic). I'm at a point now (6 months post) where I can just maintain my weight with 3Kcals/day (5'10", 140lbs), and getting more and more active, so I may need even more in the future, and the more I read the more concerned I get with taking in 8+ Ensure-Plus's per day for the next 25+ years (fingers crossed) - lots of sugar, and what seems like double the recommended amount of protein for my height/weight.

I guess as time goes on I'll catch on to what people here seem to do, which is venture out into other foods, just would like to keep the calorie by volume concentration high.

Thanks for the link Paul, it was useful.
Posted By: jneal3 Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-14-2014 12:47 AM
I've decided to at least switch to Boost UHC, it has 560 cals with 14g of sugar, which is less than half the ratio of sugar/calories of Ensure Plus.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-14-2014 02:25 AM
The VHC can be a bit thick. I know it is alot thicker than regular liquid nutrition drinks.

If using it in a feeding tube you may need to water it down a little. Make sure to flush extra good afterward a feeding to keep the tube clean.

PS... If you order it thru the Amazon link on the main OCF forum page, then OCF gets a small kickback. Please click on the green Amazon box prior to shopping for anything on Amazon. Thank you!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-14-2014 03:03 PM
Try making a fresh protein shake daily - once or twice. A lot of the plant based proteins have stevia not sugar so it has a minimal effect on blood sugar and it's natural. Just make sure it's well blended (no lumps) and if it's too thick add water to thin it out. You can either take it all by mouth and use glucerna or ensure by peg or just make your own and use it for everything . A good blender will help make it a fast process. Hugs!
Posted By: donfoo Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-14-2014 03:48 PM
[quote]A good blender will help make it a fast process[/quote]Protein powder shakes are SO easy. Just put powder into shaker cup, add some milk, and several ice cubes. Cap on and shake and go about your business. No muss, no fuss. Just rinse cup when done!
Posted By: jneal3 Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-14-2014 04:53 PM
[quote=ChristineB]
PS... If you order it thru the Amazon link on the main OCF forum page, then OCF gets a small kickback. Please click on the green Amazon box prior to shopping for anything on Amazon. Thank you!!! [/quote]

That's really good to know Christine, I'll definitely do it that way from here on, might actually add up wink

Thanks.
Posted By: Brian Liebenow Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-24-2014 06:01 PM
I was on 7 Ensure Pluses a day for months, but I couldn't do it. Every can would make me nauseous. I couldn't do more than 5 or 6 cans. Eventually, I started using a Kangaroo pump to slowly put the formula in me, but I hated being tethered to a pump. I was losing weight. Boost made me even more nauseous. But then a friend gave me their old Vitamix blender. I started blending up regular meals, whatever my family was eating. I could tolerate MUCH higher volumes of food. If you're going to be using a PEG longterm and if you can get a high-end blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix (they often offer medical discounts) then I highly recommend a blended diet. There are also pre-made blended meals you can purchase like Real Food Blends or Liquid Hope. PM me for more information.

Question: I just mentioned Vitamix, Blendtec, Real Food Blends and Liquid Hope on here, but I don't think I'm supposed to advertise somebody else's product on this forum, right? Please don't kick me off if I've done wrong!! :-)
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-25-2014 02:01 AM
Brian, relax!!!

If you are the owner or a representative from a company whose product you are touting then that is against the OCF rules. We do not allow any advertizing like that. We do allow peer to peer recommendations. If something worked for you, its perfectly okay and encouraged to pass that info along to newer members.

There are hundreds of different kinds of formula on the market. Most are not available over the counter, you can only get them with a prescription. A medical supply company will deliver it monthly.

There is even help for those who struggle with the high cost of prescription formulas. The Oley Foundation has a patient matching section where they will match patients who have leftover formula and accessories with patients who need items. The person who needs the items only pays for S&H. Last time I used their service it was only $16 per case.

Posted By: Brian Liebenow Re: Ensure Plus Nutrition Content - 03-25-2014 02:23 AM
Whew! Thank you, Christine. :-)

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum