Posted By: GlassHalfFull13 Soothing a burning tongue - 06-28-2013 09:58 PM
Hello,

After my friend gargles and rinses his mouth, his tongue is burning. Have any of you found a remedy?

MLB
Posted By: donfoo Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 06-29-2013 12:51 AM
Need more info. What is he gargling with? Plain water, mouthwash that may contain alcohol, soda/salt solution?

What are his other symtoms? Is he being treated for oral cancer? Does he have chemo or radiation treatments?

What sort of ulcers or sores or other things going on in his mouth?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 06-29-2013 01:03 AM
I think this is related to your other posting with the pain, mouth ulcers, after surgery, recent radiation treatment ending two weeks ago. You need to see what the ulcers are from, and treat them appropriately, otherwise the pain may not resolve until they are, when rinsing. A recurrence or secondary tumor needs to be ruled out also, if not already done. Don also made very good points.

Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 06-29-2013 03:49 AM
Without any background info, Im not sure if this will help but I hope it will.

When I would eat something that burned my sensitive mouth I would drink chocolate milk. Dairy foods help to neutralize the burning sensation. Things like milk or yogurt may help.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 07-12-2013 12:29 AM
Sour cream too, but sometimes, milk products may burn due to the lactic acid. Rinsing with baking soda or glutamine powder may also help
Posted By: JoelB Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 07-26-2013 12:55 AM
Im a year out of surgery and 8 months out from radiation and my tongue still burns a bit when I eat some foods...Acidic, spicy foods are the worst and toothpaste too...I agree, dairy products help..I use sour cream on almost everything now and drink alot of milk..It's weird though, before radiation, I really didn't like milk all that much, now I like it alot..Tomatoes too..Didn't like them at all before radiation, but now I like them, even though they burn a little on my tongue and they seem to tighten up the side of my tongue that was removed...So try the dairy products and stay away from acidic and spicy foods...Good Luck..
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 07-26-2013 01:53 PM
Sow,y you get back some of your tolerance for retain things - in a week I'll be 27 mos out of treatment. I still have trouble with acidic and salty foods and spicy heck no! But it has gotten better. I find over the past few months my mouth has gotten a little less sensitive... smile good luck!
Posted By: PatriciaC Re: Soothing a burning tongue - 08-01-2013 11:25 PM
This receipe helps: 1tsp. baking soda
1tsp. salt
1quart water
Mix together-Rinse & spit several times a
day.
Take care!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum