Posted By: EzJim Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-15-2012 10:42 PM
I drove to a soft serve Ice cream this afternoon thinking I could handler some of that good stuff. LOL Oh yea. I brought a cup full home to try. I have had nothing in my mouth since last Oct but had to try because it looked so good. Hell. ZI put a little back in my mouth as far as I could. Geez, It ran out of my mouth, down my chin, down my shirt and burned my tongue like fire. Sure glad I had a towel close by. I guess the feeding tube has a purpose but not my mouth. Have a great day all.
Posted By: julieann Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-16-2012 12:26 AM
Well Jim, I guess ice cream is just for little boys and you have outgrown it. Hey, I know - put some of that good ole stuff in your feeding tube. Where there's a will, there's a way! I know your feeling though - I used to live off home grown tomatoes and decided to have a sliced tomato sandwich with lots of mayonaise to help it slide down. Well, first bite slid down just about to my esophagus and then decided to stop. After several seconds, that seemed like minutes, I managed to get most of it back up without choking. Oh well, at least I have wonderful memories. Hugs from julieann
Posted By: EzJim Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-17-2012 12:31 PM
Julie, I wanted to taste how good t could have been and WOW was I in for a surprise. The taste was good but my mouth didn't like it. Therefore the tube would do no good as I get no taste thru that thing. I loved veggies and especially tomatoes. Damn I miss eating but am happy to be alive and simple. LOL luv ya gal.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-17-2012 02:49 PM
Sorry you couldnt eat ice cream Jim. I have found some places I can eat theirs where other places it burns my mouth. Chocolate is better for me than vanilla. Maybe try another place with a different kind. McDonalds hot fudge sundaes burn only a little so once in a great while I will try one but Cold Stone ice cream burns like fire. I can eat Rita's or Friendly's soft chocolate with hot fudge or caramel.

Ice cream or anything very cold in the tube might be a big shock to your stomach. Im extra cautious when putting anything other than meds or formula down my tube. But I have frequent stomach upsets and still take zofran on those bad days.
Posted By: emilyp Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-17-2012 04:34 PM
Hi Jim,

Sorry that you couldn't eat the frozen yogurt! What a bummer. One thing you could maybe try is to make a milkshake with a little ice cream and lots of milk. During/after treatment, I was eating ice cream every day and it was always easier for me to eat it when I mixed it with the milk, it burned less and wasn't as cold (which was my biggest problem).
Posted By: Winteriscoming Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-19-2012 07:40 PM
Sorry you couldn't eat ice cream. I can't eat anything but boost shakes. It's terrible to get up the confidence to try something and have it totally fail.
I keep trying and trying but nothing seems to work. It feels like my tongue is to big and too sore on the top to manipulate anything.
I hold on to hope. It's hard always to keep the faith when everyone around you can eat your favorites and you're stuck with nothing.
Tonight I shall try some chicken noodle soup. And once more try to keep the faith!
Posted By: EricS Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-19-2012 08:51 PM
Jim, love you brother you've gotta be the toughest dude I know
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-22-2012 01:29 PM
Keep up the good fight and keep trying new stuff, it only helps make life more interesting!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: David2 Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-28-2012 02:22 AM
Jim, sorry to hear about the great ice cream caper. I echo Eric's comment and I too am glad you're alive.
Posted By: Bloop19 Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-28-2012 08:39 AM
Oh I love ice cream too. But the chemo I am on now for colon cancer has a side effect that makes anything the least bit cold burn your hands and mouth. And I guess it actually would make your throat close up. What a revolting side effect, huh? lol Have to drink everything room temperature.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Tried soft serve Ice cream today - 07-28-2012 01:48 PM
EZJim

I hear you loud and clear brother. Hope some of the suggestions here work out for you. With all you have been through, you deserve a break. It's been over three years now since I've tasted anything so I can empathize here. It's harder than I care to admit not being able to eat. You are right as usual that it's good to be alive. Thank you for reminding me of what a fighting spirit really is.
Charm
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum