Posted By: stevec Looking for Resources - 02-18-2011 01:38 PM
Hi all. I am new to the board. I am a family member of a 40 year old male who is three weeks post op. The patient lost 85% of his tongue in the surgery and the part that remains is the back 15%.

The physicians are saying that he will most likely never speak or eat again. I am looking for links to users who have had similar diagnoses who have succeeded in beating the odds. Any successful stories will go along way to providing my family member at some hope that he will regain some of speech and the ability to eat. Any ideas, potential therapies, or treatments that can be shared would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Looking for Resources - 02-18-2011 02:33 PM
Hi Steve. It is not necessary to repeat your post. Give it time to be seen. Not every member logs onto OCF daily. Im sure someone will come along who has gone thru something similar as your family member. Look for posts by misskate, I believe she has had a similar experience.

As I wrote yesterday, seek out a speech therapist. They will be able to help your family member with the mobility of their new tongue.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Looking for Resources - 02-18-2011 04:02 PM
Steve - the answer to your question is very long, and super variable by individual patient, and extent of surgery. The docs have called this correctly, for as small as it is, that piece of tissue performs so many vital functions that its loss is catastrophic in most people. That is why many people are treated with chemo and radiation first to see if the tumor can be reduced (even eliminated) before any surgery on it is chosen as a treatment modality. If you would like to talk about this I would be pleased to explain the ups and downs of it all . You can call me at the OFC offices.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum