Posted By: dribrook Are Probiotics Safe and Effective? - 12-07-2010 03:04 PM
Probiotics (eg. Lactobacillus acidophilus) are live microorganisms that confer a health benefits. In the USA they are marketed as foods or dietary supplements and are not required FDA approval. Recent studies reported potential serious complications after their use in people with overgrowth of intestinal bacteria, intestinal damage, or a weakened immune system. This may include individuals who are receiving chemotherapy.

I Brook MD
Posted By: dribrook Re: Are Probiotics Safe and Effective? - 12-08-2010 05:59 PM
I posted the above information to alert the readers about this issue. If in doubt if this applies to someone it is best to consult with their physician. Yogurt brands also contain live bacteria. However their quantity in yogurts is much smaller than in other preparations (tablets, capsules or liquid).

I Brook MD
Posted By: EricS Re: Are Probiotics Safe and Effective? - 12-09-2010 02:32 AM
Doc! I mailed Jamie Lee Curtis a very strongly worded letter after reading your first post! I felt decieved after watching her Activia commercials, she seemed so "regular"...you know?

Jamie Lee...if you are reading this...forgive me? P.S. I loved you in True Lies xoxo
Posted By: BrandyK Re: Are Probiotics Safe and Effective? - 12-09-2010 05:33 AM
My acupuncturist actually had me taking acidophilus to help with constipation. Granted I did not take it much but it did seem to help and I think it is more natural than others. I am not sure as I have not done a lot of research on them.
Posted By: dribrook Re: Are Probiotics Safe and Effective? - 12-09-2010 07:26 PM
Probiotics are generally safe for most individuals and may have some positive effects. However, caution should be exercised in those who are immuno-compromised or any of the above problems (see my original posting).

I Brook MD
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum