Posted By: Mel_in_CA Airport security and Ensure - 08-16-2010 08:28 PM
Hi All-
I'm wondering if anyone has tried getting through airport security with liquids like Ensure. After having multiple surgeries I have a lot of trouble swallowing, I can eat some solids but I rely a lot on smoothies, ensure, etc.
My husband and I are taking a getaway trip and I want to bring a small cooler with me, packing liquid vicodin, ensure, and soymilk boxes. Don't feel like checking a bag plus I want the drinks in the airport with me in case I get hungry. The TSA website says it's ok to bring liquids that are medically necessary. Just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with it and if I'll get hasselled by security. I also feel like trying it, because it's only fair. If someone with diabetes can bring all of their stuff, then someone with cancer should also be allowed to bring their stuff. Last time I took a trip, the flight was delayed and then I had the added stress of having to try and find something I could eat in an airport. Sometimes I get tired of the stress around eating, I'm sure everyone else does too!
Thanks
Melissa
Posted By: EmilyE Re: Airport security and Ensure - 08-16-2010 08:58 PM
When my mom and I flew to TX, she brought a carry on with her cans of liquid food and all of her liquid medicines. As long as the prescription bottles have your name on them, its okay. The ensure should probably be unopened when you go through security. We didnt even get questioned about her medicine. They gave me crap because i didnt take my laptop out of the bag but let the lady with a gallon of liquid medicine through, no questions! smile

enjoy your trip
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Airport security and Ensure - 08-16-2010 09:13 PM
My experience was exactly the opposite of Emily's mom. You can read the entire thread here at OCF TSA and Air Travel
Bottom line: you should be able to bring your Ensure with you.
From another forum on feeding tubes, it appears that the experience is different with every airport but everybody reported issues and delays. Dulles was annoying but nowhere near as foolish as Albuquerque. At the worst, it's just a hassle. I did have a complete doctor's note but the TSA automatons didn't bother to read it not even once. At least they should be familiar with Ensure unlike the prescription Jevity. The TSA web site also says there is a special line but not at IAD nor ABQ.
Don't let it discourage you from your trip since it definitely doable.
Charm
Posted By: Mel_in_CA Re: Airport security and Ensure - 08-16-2010 11:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Emily. I posted but on the older TSA thread, oops. Been a while since I've used the forums.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Airport security and Ensure - 08-16-2010 11:48 PM
Melissa

Check out digitexas reply on the TSA thread. If he can bring Boost and only needs to call over a supervisor, that should be the worse for you also for the Ensure. Since they are both supermarket drinks, TSA will probably treat them the same.
I began to wonder whether my prescription Jevity was not an accurate predictor but his post confirms my experiences.
Now don't be "taking the slide" off the plane like that flight attendant if they do give you a hard time wink
Charm
Posted By: airkitty Re: Airport security and Ensure - 08-19-2010 04:11 PM
Melissa,
Enjoy your trip. I have flown Charleston to Indianapolis and had no problems at all with Jevity and my diabetes supplies. I always make sure to have a doctors letter with me just in case. : )
Charm - you always crack me up.
mark
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum