Posted By: Dabbjjesse PEG tube question - 07-16-2010 03:22 PM
Good morning! My dad had his original PEG tube since last April - and now has a new one. The old one was a pretty long tube, but was nasty looking and started to "back up." Long story short, this new tube is pretty short in comparison and if he didn't find a way to tape it up, it appears as if it would fall out. It separates from his stomach and he has troubles with it slowly leaking. This one has been a big pain. Does this mean he should go back in to get it checked? My mom called the nurse of the hospital where he got the new tube and she said sometimes this is normal until he gets used to the new one. Just seems so odd that it separates from his stomach so much. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: PEG tube question - 07-16-2010 06:06 PM
I'm not sure as to what you mean by "separating from his stomach"
If you mean his tube comes out and had to be pushed back, then this is not normal at all. PEG tubes have a fastener to keep them in the stomach, either a wire (pig tail) or a balloon.
Here is a simple chart that that can walk you thru the PEG issues
PEG complication chart
Also you should take the time to read all the posts in this thread here at OCF where I posted this chart. There is a link to an extensive 55 page manual prepared by Canada that is very informative also.
OCF thread on Peg troubles
Unfortunately, most doctors and hospitals never prepare nor follow up on PEG tubes, with some notable exceptions like DonB's hospital.
charm

Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG tube question - 07-17-2010 04:58 AM
Do you mean that the tube has space between the body and the round plastic tab? If thats the case, it can be tightened easily. Best thing to do would be to take your dad back to the gastrio doc so they can adjust it.

You should be able to order drain sponges which go between the body and that tab to absorb any leaks. They should be available thru the same place he gets his formula and syringes. If he doesnt have the drain sponges, take few pieces of gauze and put a slit 1/2 way thru it then slide that between the tab and your dads belly.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum