Posted By: EricS More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 08:13 AM
So went to my Oral Surgeon today because I've been feeling more pain in my mouth. I knew I would have some pain as I came off my pain medications but it was getting very uncomfortable.

My OS informed me that my trismus is getting better...which will make it easier to pull more teeth. frown I have one molar coming out and possibly two more. He did say that my mouth was just so dry so I'd continue to have these issues. I'm not quite sure what more to do as I use all of the biotene products and drink water constantly.

Anyway I knew this could be the case so it doesn't surprise me...just another blow to the ego I told myself I'd relinquish.

Yep that was me whining.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 01:22 PM
That's a shame Eric. I wish I had a cure to our dry mouth issues.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 02:38 PM
Eric

Bad luck about the teeth. To echo another post of David's, be careful of what you wish for as there is indeed a "cure" for dry mouth, although it is worse than the condition. I carried a water bottle with me everywhere (in a nice masculine water bottle holder my wife custom made that displayed two of my Marine Corps Marathon finisher patches) and hated my dry mouth the first time around. The "cure' is simple: have your epiglottis scarred and frozen by radiation and surgery, then sever a nerve, and voila: the formerly non-perceptible trickle of saliva will have nowhere to go (even after TX, most oral cancer patients swallow 6,000 times a day just like before unconsciously)and it's the end of dry mouth. Every time you take a sip of water, or a bite of food, be glad you have dry mouth that results from swallowing the very very reduced saliva you still do generate.
That said, I still have my teeth so once again you trump me for troubles. Your strength and courage inspires us all Eric
Charm
Posted By: walknlite Re: More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 03:55 PM
Oh, WOW. Eric, that will be another appt. I need to make is with my dentist. I am going to tackle one problem at a time. I have noticed that two of my front teeth are loose, and I am hoping that tighten back up. We will see. I am sorry you have so many problems.
Posted By: Eileen Re: More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 06:58 PM
Geez Eric, life just won't cut you a break. Does this mean you will have to do hyperbaric oxygen treatments?

Are you going to be able to have a partial made? They pulled all my rear molars prior to radiation so I have two partials. The good side of this is when I put them in the morning, they start the saliva glands working.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: EricS Re: More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 08:26 PM
Eileen, I don't pay attention of the breaks I fail to recieve from life as it would only make me bitter. I have gone through HBO to the tune of 35 dives so I'm ready for some teeth yanking.

Partials are not an option for me and I have a team at the UW looking into implants however it doesn't look promising.

Charm, one thing I realize is that my situation could always be worse so I try not to complain. I read about Jim's, Christine's and your experiences and find strength in all of your outlooks.

Posted By: Karen Rose Re: More teeth coming out - 02-04-2010 11:41 PM
Really sorry to hear about your teeth Eric.

I have just had stage 2 done for my teeth implants into my reconstructed jaw. (hip bone) Just in case there are other members interested in teeth implants I will start another thread. (there is a photo of my xray following stage 1 on my Face Book )

Karen
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: More teeth coming out - 02-05-2010 12:12 AM
Eric - If you wish to discuss implants let me know. I spent a great deal of my life designing dental implants, the prosthetic attachments to them, and lecturing about the same at universities. I owned a class three medical device company that among other things manufactured dental implants. There are lots of different designs with pros and, con's, and I know a bit about success rates in radiated bone. I keep thinking I am going to put all this on the web site since I understand it so well, but it has been a low priority with so many other alligators on my rear, so I just haven't had the time to get to it yet.

By the by, I have some Idaho questions I'd like to ask you as well.
Posted By: EricS Re: More teeth coming out - 02-05-2010 02:51 AM
Brian, I sent a PM. Thanks everyone for their input and comments.
Posted By: tristeve Re: More teeth coming out - 02-07-2010 12:44 AM
Hi Eric, sorry about the teeth. Such a problem to add to the other problems!

But on the lite side, you will be able to brush your teeth faster now!

Whining id OK, we all get one whine pass per day

Steve
Posted By: EricS Re: More teeth coming out - 02-10-2010 08:43 PM
Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, only one molar out. I refused pain meds, just got off opiates and didn't want to ride that train again. I'm waiting for the compazine to kick in, swallowing blood always nauseates me.

it's nap time...
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: More teeth coming out - 02-10-2010 08:52 PM
So sorry about your teeth issues but happy to hear that today's visit was easier than you expected. Sweet dreams!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum