Posted By: irishmist Physical Therapy - 12-07-2009 08:09 PM
When I finished with rad and chemo, 5 cistplatin and 30 rads, I asked the RO for a prescription for PT. I was so weak, I could barely climb the stairs to my bedroom. I was so weak at first that I could not do 10 curls with 10 lb weights. I had no upper body strength and limited lower body.
I have been going 3x a week, working on eliptical for 10 mintues, 6 minutes on balance, weights for arms and chest and thigh machines.
I am probably back to being in better shape then before the diagnosis. I strongly suggest getting your treatment team to write a Rx for physical therapy as it seems to escalate the healing process.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Physical Therapy - 12-07-2009 10:37 PM
Irish,

It would be most helpful if you included some dates in your Signature Line especially when you finished your Tx, etc.
Posted By: tristeve Re: Physical Therapy - 12-09-2009 06:33 PM
Hi Irish,
Last year I was an Ironman, today I am a pussy cat. I lost lots of body mass. I am 3 months post treatment and can walk a couple miles. I tried to pick up a 40lb bag of dog food the other day, my eyes almost popped out. I guess it is time to start doing some light weights!

Steve
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum